Users of the Windows 10 operating system often notice various applications and new functions on the computer that have suddenly appeared after the cumulative Microsoft updates. One of these programs, which can be observed among the installed on the device software - Windows Setup Remediation, it is installed with the update KB4023057. Consider what is the purpose of this application and whether to leave it in the system.
Why is Windows Setup Remediation needed?
What is kb4023057
Cumulative updates for the “Tens” are often released, bringing with it surprises, both pleasant and not so. Of course, after finding the Windows Setup Remediation software on a computer, the user wonders what it is. Since the software is not installed manually, but automatically (and, as you know, objects that are independently registered in the system, can potentially pose a security risk), the question is, what kind of program is quite natural. The application is useful and is installed along with other KB updates for Windows 10, representing an update of kb4023057 (OS versions x86, x64, ARM64).
Its mission is to improve the reliability of the Update Center service, prepare devices for use on the Ten of the October update of the 1809 version, and also cancel user changes that can block the receipt of a new version or provoke software conflicts with the update. So, the software functionality implements the following features:
- The kb4023057 package contains components that fix errors in the process of updating the operating system and eliminate problems with installing important components for the OS in Windows Update.
- The level of reliability and security of Windows increases, including the update procedure being performed, and the log will display up-to-date information on the current status.
- Windows Setup Remediation updates the system libraries and modules, resets the network settings as necessary, and also clears the registry keys (if the update is not performed due to their reason).
- In the absence of free disk space for downloading components, software can free up space by compressing data associated with a user profile (access to files is not lost).
- Repair damaged system elements, activate broken components of your OS.
- To eliminate installation problems, kb4023057 can reset the Tens update service database.
- Fix bugs in the official Windows Store app.
Being auxiliary software Update Assistant, the update fixes bugs and is necessary for the stable operation of the Update Center, including the successful installation of packages. KB4023057 is put into the system without user participation, so that it can avoid problems during the Windows 10 update procedure, it is not necessary to prevent its installation.
Where did kb4023057 come from
An update from Microsoft Windows Setup Remediation (kb4023057) for Windows 10 with x64, x86, ARM64 architecture, replacing the previously released 4022868, is intended for OS assemblies 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803. Software is required to prepare the system for installation Update October 2018 (1809) - the update is already available from January 16, 2019 and is installed automatically. In February 2019, the kb4023057 update was released with some corrections, since with the January version of the software, many users had an error 0x87070643. At the same time, the mission remained the same, to prepare the system for installing a new version, having performed the necessary adjustments in automatic mode.
Is it possible to remove kb4023057
In that case, if the error 0x80070643 is concerned, the software constantly requests updates, then you can reinstall kb4023057, for which you need to go to the application settings to remove it:
- Right-click on the Start button and select “Applications and Features” from the menu.
- In the search line, enter kb4023057 and delete the application that appeared in the results by pressing the corresponding button called software.
The removal of this program can be done in an alternative way, using the Control Panel, where you need to go to the "Programs and Features" section and find an application with the name kb4023057 (for example, Update for Windows 10 for x64 based Systems) in the list of software installed on the device, and then delete. After that you will be able to check for available updates in the Windows OS (manual download is unavailable) and install the package again, the procedure is automatic.
You can deactivate the application in the Task Manager, for which you need to select the corresponding item and click on the “Clear Task” button, then disable it in the “Startup” item. If you absolutely do not need Windows Setup Remediation software, and you want to get rid of it completely, and you do not want to update the system in the future, then besides the standard uninstall of the program, you will also need to disable the installation of updates. Before such procedures, it is better to create a restore point, so that in the event of unwanted changes it was possible to return the system to the state before your intervention:
- Go to the properties of the system, for which we open the console "Run" (Win + R) and in the line write the query control sysdm.cpl.
- In the "System Protection" tab, select the system disk and enable system protection if it is disabled (click "Configure" and move the marker to the option activation point).
- Click the button "Create" and enter the name of the restore point, confirm the action.
To disable the installation of updates, you need to do the following:
- Go to the services (for example, through the "Run" console, where you will need to enter a request services.msc) and go to the Windows Update Center.
- Click "Stop".
- Then, in the properties of the color center (the window is called from the context menu) in the “General” tab, we set the “Disabled” mode in the “Startup type” item.
- Go to the tab "Login", rearrange the marker on the item "With account". Next, click "Browse" - "Advanced" - "Search" and among the results, select "Guest".
- Now the tab will display the user account. Below you need to clear the password and confirmation fields, and then click the "Apply" button.
- Reactivate the service can be the opposite way.
The Windows Setup Remediation (kb4023057) application is useful for the system software, but using it or not is a user's choice.