Your computer is your workplace, be it an office or home. Constantly updating it will always be useful, but sometimes due to unprecedented events or situations it becomes difficult to work in the system. One such situation is when the system suddenly encounters an error 0x0000000a that does not allow optimal use of your device.
Method for fixing error 0x0000000a in Windows.
Why this error appears
Error code 0x0000000a is considered to be a Windows startup error, which usually occurs during the installation process. It is also called STOP 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Whenever any driver or kernel of Windows uses the wrong memory address, it causes a blue screen with code 0x0000000a, due to which your access to the system will be closed. This error, commonly known as the blue screen of death, reflects the fact that something was wrong with Windows (with any version of the system). The main problem is that the system could not recognize which file is causing it. Ultimately, this may lead to additional efforts on your part to identify and, accordingly, eliminate the problem. Should there be a reason behind every problem? Here are the main ones:
- During the installation, the wrong address is specified by the operating system.
- Damaged driver (previous or just installed).
- The problem of incompatibility of equipment.
- Corrupted registry database.
- Overclocking processing.
- Some kind of PC hardware or driver is out of order.
- The installation of the driver or software is not completed correctly.
- Malicious programs that should be removed cause damage to Windows files.
And ways to resolve the error 0x0000000a
Fixing problem 0x0000000a on your system is important for resuming workflow. You need to try our tips one by one, and after each decision it is recommended to restart the system to see if the problem is fixed or not.
Sometimes it is also possible that the computer's operating system generates an error 0x0000000a when installing Windows 7 or using drivers for an external USB device. And the simplest solution you can try now is to remove all connected external USB devices from your computer or laptop and restart it. After disconnecting all unnecessary from your computer, you will need to use the computer as usual for testing purposes only and check whether you still receive this error or not. Speaking of "Removing USB", it means turning off and removing all USB-connected devices, such as printer cable, scanner cable, webcam cable, external hard drive cable, etc., except the mouse and USB keyboard (if you use keyboard and mouse PS2, then they do not need to remove).
If you find that the problem disappears when you remove some of your USB devices, this means that you definitely have problems with USB-connected drivers. So, now connect one USB device to your computer and check the computer for errors. If everything goes well, you can connect a second USB device to the computer and reboot it. You will have to do this for each USB device that was connected to the PC until you find the faulty component. After that, you just need to reinstall the drivers for this particular hardware and that's it.
You can get rid of the error 0x0000000a by removing drivers. There are two known ways to remove drivers in Windows, but sometimes methods cannot remove programs due to the features of Windows 10.
Method 1. Remove drivers from programs and functions:
- Open Run with the Win + R keyboard shortcut.
- Type "Control Panel" and press Enter.
- In the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.
- Right-click the driver and select "Uninstall".
- Reboot the computer.
Method 2: Uninstall Windows Drivers using Device Manager:
- Use Win + X keyboard shortcuts.
- Select Device Manager.
- Expand the list of devices. Right-click the problem device and select "Delete Device".
- You may need to check the box “Uninstall the driver software for this device” and then click the “Uninstall” button.
- Reboot the computer.
Both solutions can help remove a specific device, but you cannot completely remove the driver if you install the program incorrectly, especially with the second method. After restarting your computer, Windows 10 still recognizes a broken, improperly configured, or incompatible driver, even if you installed the appropriate software. Windows 10 will detect drivers that have not actually been deleted, stored in C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers during PC startup. In addition, if the driver is damaged, Windows 10 when restarting will restore the worker from the backup. To solve the problem of "driver removal failed" or completely remove unnecessary drivers, you can follow these steps: First, let's find out about some important folders related to the drivers on your C drive:
- C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers. You can find the exact device driver .sys files in the Driver folder.
- C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Inf. Some .inf files are saved in the folder Inf. File names are not the original names of the driver package, but are called in oem # .inf or oem # .pnf forms (# means the corresponding number).
- C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \ FileRepository. The folder FileRepository stores all backup copies of driver packages.
- C: \ Windows \ System32. You have these .dll driver components in the System32 folder.
Consider the procedure for removing drivers on the example of a sound card:
- Open the device manager and navigate to the sound device whose driver you want to uninstall.
- Double-click the device to open its "Properties", and open the tab "Driver". Then click the Details button to open the Driver File Details window.
- Check the driver file data. Write these file names in .sys format to c: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers. For example, the list could be drmk.sys, ksthunk.sys, portcls.sys and RTKVHD64.sys.
- Return to the Device Properties and go to the Details tab.
- Select an Inf name in the Property drop-down menu. Then write down the information displayed in Value. For example, oem18.inf.
- Then you need to find the corresponding folder where the backup driver is stored in C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \ FileRepository.
If you receive an error message after installing the driver, you can easily find the backup folder in the Device Manager: Device Properties / Events / Information tab. But if there is no such content, you can use the command line to check the corresponding folder.
- Click Win + S, enter cmd.
- Run as administrator.
pnputil / enum-drivers> c: \ drivers.txt.
- Go to the C: drive and open the .txt file you just created. Scroll down and go to the device whose driver is causing the error. Here we see the name of the sound card, namely oem18.inf, which we recorded in the last step.
- Then you need to remember the original name hdxrt.inf and find such a folder in C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \ FileRepository, which starts with the same name.
Open the folder and you will see all the device driver backup files. You can group files by date of change. Then find out the exact driver installer stored in this folder.
- Go to the "Uninstall a program" window. You can enter “delete program” in the “Search” field. Or click "Start", select "Control Panel" and "Programs and Features" (for example, Windows 7).
- Find your device or drivers. Double-click the entry to remove the drivers and components.
Device Manager also has a “Delete” function. You can try to remove the device and its driver:
- Go to the device manager. You can enter “Device Manager” in the “Start Search” field to find it.
- Locate the device containing the problem driver. Double-click it to open the properties window.
- Select the "Driver" tab and click "Delete." In the small pop-up window, select the “Uninstall the driver software for this device” checkbox and click “OK.”
At this point, Windows will automatically remove and clear the current driver for the device.
The last step is to remove the drivers:
- Right-click on a folder, for example, FileRepository. Select Properties.
- Click the Security tab and click the Advanced button.
- Click "Edit" next to the owner. Type in your current Windows account and click OK. You will see the account change.
- Click OK in the "Advanced Security Settings" section for FileRepository. Click OK in the Properties window. Then repeat steps 1-2. Click the "Change Access" button.
- Click the Disable Inheritance button.
- Click Remove All Inherited Permissions From This Object.
- Click the Add button above the Disable Inheritance button.
- Click "Select Participant". Then enter your current account and click OK.
- Select the "Full Control" checkbox and the "Apply these permissions only to objects in this directory" option.
- Click OK to take full control of the FileRepository.
Reset driver check parameters
After that you can uninstall the driver installer or other driver-related files in the folder. Now you need to clear those driver registry entries that are included in the automatic driver recovery function in the Windows 10 registry. Registry Editor is the database that stores important Windows components. You should back up the registry before making any changes in case of other serious computer crashes, such as a black screen problem, a boot cycle failure, a blue screen error, etc.
- Open Run with Win + R.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Expand registry entries in the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Setup \ PnpLockdownFiles
- On the left side, scroll down and find the entries containing the relevant information about the device driver you are about to delete. For example, to remove the Realtek sound card driver, you need to right-click to delete all the corresponding .sys and .dll files.
- Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM to check if there is a service entry. If so, delete the corresponding driver keys under the entry.
Now you have completely removed the device driver from Windows 10. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect, and then you can download and install the new driver version to keep the Windows device up to date.
If the error 0x0000000A did not disappear after all the solutions described above, you can consider the possibility of correcting certain BIOS parameters that are known to cause this error.IMPORTANT. Changing the BIOS is very dangerous and should only be applied if you are an experienced user.
- The first thing you need to do is load the BIOS. To do this, restart the PC and immediately press the F8 key until the menu appears.
- Once in the BIOS, disable the following CMOS settings:
- All caching, including BIOS, L2, write-back caching on disk controllers and internal / external storage.
- Plug and play devices.
- Any virus protection feature in BIOS.
- After you do this, you will need to determine the cause of the error. To do this, re-enable each function, one after another, restarting the computer after and checking if an error appears.
- If the error 0x0000000A appears immediately after turning on a certain function, simply turn it off and turn on all the others.
Windows updates can support your system in many ways and avoid the blue screen of death. They can solve specific problems, provide protection against malicious attacks, or even add new features to the operating system. They are easiest to install using Windows Update. Although you can certainly download them manually from Microsoft servers, but using Windows Update is much easier. Windows Update has changed over the years when Microsoft released new versions of Windows. If earlier updates were installed automatically, newer versions of Windows contain a special built-in function of Windows Update with additional parameters. Below is the best way to check and install Windows updates based on your version of Windows. In Windows 10, Windows Update is located in the Settings section. First touch or click the “Start” menu and then “Settings”. Once there, select “Update and Security” and then “Windows Update” on the left. Check for new updates for Windows 10 by clicking the Check For Updates button. In Windows 10, downloading and installation occurs automatically and immediately after the check.
In Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista, the best way to access Windows Update is through Control Panel. In these versions of Windows, Windows Update is included as an applet on the control panel, complete with configuration options, update history, and more. Open Control Panel and select Windows Update. Click Check for Updates to check for new, uninstalled updates. Installation sometimes happens automatically or you may need to click the Install Updates button, depending on which version of Windows you are using and how Windows Update is configured. Microsoft no longer supports Windows Vista and does not release new updates for this OS. Any updates available through the Windows Update utility of Windows Vista have not been installed since support stopped on April 11, 2017. If you have all the updates already downloaded and installed at this point, you will not see the available updates.
In Windows XP and previous versions of Windows, Windows Update is available as a service hosted on the Microsoft Windows Update website. Like the control panel applet and the Windows Update tool in newer versions of Windows, here are the available Windows updates, as well as a few simple configuration options. Microsoft no longer supports either Windows XP or the versions of Windows that preceded it. Although Windows updates may be available on the Windows Update site for your Windows XP computer, everything you see will be released before the end date of Windows XP support, which was April 8, 2014.
Windows Update is not the only way to install Windows updates. As mentioned above, Windows updates can also be downloaded separately from the Microsoft Download Center, and then installed manually. Another option is to use a free software update program. These tools are usually created specifically for updating third-party software, but some include the Windows update download feature. In most cases, updates are installed automatically, but only if Windows is configured this way.
System File Recovery
When you install components, Windows 7 itself provides you with various system verification tools that you can use from time to time to get various benefits and solutions. One such tool is a system utilities checker. It can scan and restore damaged system files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu.
- Type command, holding Ctrl + Shift.
- Now press Enter.
- A dialog box appears asking for permission, click "Yes."
- You will see a black window with a blinking cursor (which represents the command line). On the screen, you need to enter "SFC / SCANNOW" and press Enter.
- Scanning of any system error will begin, in a few minutes you will see a message confirming that the damaged file has been detected and successfully restored.
If after trying all the above solutions, the error 0x0000000A continues to appear, you can try to restore the system before the period before the occurrence of the error. To do this, you will need to use System Restore, which is a built-in recovery tool that allows you to restore your system to its previous state.
To restore the system, click Start, type "restore" on the keyboard and select "System Restore" from the list. Follow the wizard instructions and wait for the procedure to complete. After that, restart the PC and check if the error is fixed.
To scan your PC for viruses, use the instructions for the installed antivirus software. On Windows 10, you can use the built-in component Defender Windows. Open Settings / Update and Security / Windows Security / Open Windows Security Service. Follow the instructions on the screen, wait until the end of the test, and then restart the PC. If error 0x0000000a is still present, go to the next solutions.
Hard disk damage
In many cases, an error occurs due to a damaged hardware disk, which can be caused by repeated use, improper shutdown, improper use, incomplete termination or failure during installation, power failure, etc., which can lead to malfunctions and errors. To scan and fix any hard drive issues, Microsoft has provided a disk check utility:
- Use the start menu.
- Here you need to enter "command", hold down the Ctrl + Shift key and then press Enter.
- A dialog box (Resolution) appears, confirm the action.
- When the command prompt appears, type chkdsk / f.
- Press Enter.
Alternatively, you can open the Windows Start menu / type the command run / type CMD / then type chkdsk / f. The utility will scan for hard disk damage, you just need to follow the instructions on the screen. Later, you will receive a message about the successful correction of hard disk errors.
The Windows Registry is a very large database that the operating system uses when performing various functions. This registry is used to store information, ranging from wallpaper settings, software and hardware settings. The registry is an integral part of Windows, and is likely to cause an error 0x0000000A on your system. The registry contains a lot of data that Windows should refer to when loading a program or using a hardware component, and over time these registry entries become corrupted, which makes such links unreadable. It is this damage that can lead to error 0x0000000A, since Windows can no longer refer to the appropriate registry keys, for example, when trying to load a sound card. Thus, as a solution you can consider the possibility of cleaning the registry. This is a process that entails the removal and correction of damaged records. However, for this you will need a professional registry cleaning tool, such as Advanced System Repair Pro, which can do all this in addition to optimizing the performance of your system.
Compatibility is a check of the hardware of your computer, during which we check whether our computer is compatible with a certain type of software / hardware or not (what you recently connected or installed). Sometimes people buy something new (software / hardware) for their computer, and then simply plug it in or install it into the system, without even knowing whether the software / hardware is compatible with their computer system or not. You need to disable new hardware for testing purposes only. Or, if you recently installed some kind of software in your Windows operating system, now you need to uninstall it too. In the event that you want to keep the new software, you need to make sure that it is fully compatible with the currently installed operating system.
As you can see, there are quite a few ways to get rid of the error 0x0000000a. If you have already encountered a similar problem, share comments under this article.