A computer malfunction is a precedent that “knocks out” the user’s rut, since laptops confidently took a large-scale position in a person’s life, are exploited in almost all areas of his activity. Faced with a problem in the form of a malfunction of a computer device, the user must solve the dilemma: try to fix the problem on his own, or leave this task to be performed by technology professionals. PC users in most cases give preference to the first variant of troubleshooting, by searching for information on the network about the error, and make the right decision. At the present time, the problem is easily identified by the pop-up failure code: you can cope with most of the faults through certain manipulations, which you can easily do by yourself, knowing the rules for dealing with errors. In this article we will discuss what the error 0X000000A5 is, analyze the main reasons for its occurrence, which can vary depending on the version of the Windows OS being used, tell about the PC “treatment” methodology, with an orientation to a positive result.
The method of eliminating the error 0x000000a5.
Causes of error
The discussed error, with the cipher 0X000000A5, often manifests itself when installing Windows XP, however, it can occur when operating other versions of the OS. On the seven and subsequent variations, the malfunction is manifested not only when they are installed, but also in the process of working on a PC, for example, after restarting it or when resuming from sleep mode. The factors provoking the appearance of the so-called “death screen” with the code 0X000000A5 in the text message differ for Windows XP and other Microsoft operating systems, therefore the options for fixing the problem differ:
- In the first case, the problem is solved easily, through the routine performance of several operations, which will be discussed later in the article.
- In the second situation, when operating Windows 7, 8 or 10, the problem may have a different causal origin, which involves the search for a specific provocateur of precedent by practical methods, through trial and error.
Reasons that can provoke a failure with a conditional error on the "seven", and later versions of the OS, may have the following help:
- Software obsolescence of BIOS firmware.
- Defects of the system module hiberfil.sys, which provokes the appearance of a failure when the laptop exits from the hibernation state.
- The presence of connected external devices during the installation of the OS, which must be disconnected during the Windows installation process in order to avoid the appearance of a software conflict of the internal and external equipment of the PC.
- Software or mechanical PC memory problems.
Each of the reasons has its own correction rules, which will be discussed later.
To determine theoretically a specific factor that provoked a failure is almost impossible. The user will have, through practical actions, from simple to perform to more complex, consistently eliminate the possible causes of the error. Naturally, if the tasks are performed correctly, at a certain stage of the work, the user will restore the PC to work, however, at what point it happens, depends on the specific cause of the problem. Consider troubleshooting options used for Windows 10 and earlier operating system versions.
Check PC memory
Many users and specialists, when there is a need to eliminate the 0X000000A5 error that appeared when the laptop was loaded or when it came out of hibernation, recommend starting with checking the state of the RAM, as it most often acts as a provocateur of the problem. To begin with, it is recommended to check the RAM bars for external damage, the integrity of contacts and connectors, and the reliability of their connection. In the course of work, it is worth performing cleaning of the slats from debris and dust, which over time is collected in any system unit, even if the user is a pedant and monitors cleanliness. If an external check and cleanup failed, it would not hurt to test the memory for software defects. To do this, you can use third-party utilities, for example, MemTest86 software, which proved to be one of the best in the plan under discussion, or through the resources of the system itself. To use the resources of the system will need to work according to the following regulations:
- Run the Windows 7 installation disc, or the version used on the PC, with the option “System Restore”.
- Select the command line tool, then enter the Cd, Cd windows / system32, Mdsched.exe directives and confirm each command with the Enter key.
- The user will open a memory scan window in which he needs to select the “Restart reboot” item and wait for the diagnostic result.
If there are problems with memory, they will appear in the status window: to solve the problem, you will need to replace the faulty element with a working part. Otherwise, you need to go to check other causes of failure.
File hiberfil.sys as the source of the problem
The precedent, when the so-called stop cipher 0X000000A5 did not appear when Windows was installed, but when the laptop came out of the inactive mode, then the hiberfil.sys document, which is directly responsible for the correctness of the computer hibernation and exit, is the main cause of the malfunction. Since the file is a system file, the decision to find and remove it from the directory is irrelevant - this may negatively affect the functionality of the PC. To resolve the issue with the file being discussed, you will need to try to restore it or “overwrite”, or, which is much simpler, to block its negative impact. The second option will determine the impossibility of further operation of the hibernation mode, however, will be able to cope with the problem under discussion. The process of removing the tasks from the operation of the hiberfil.sys module is carried out according to the following regulations:
- Go to the registry "Power", located in the menu "Control Panel".
- Find the position “Setting sleep mode” where to select the “Change advanced power settings” section, move to the “Sleep” tab and enter the number zero in “Sleep after”, which will cause the PC to hibernate.
- Assure corrections with "OK".
Having carried out this process, the user disables completely the sleep mode, and, accordingly, eliminates the need to operate the "defective" registry. If disabling sleep mode is critical for the user, then a system restore will be required, with the need to copy the file from the installation drive via the command line.
Disable external equipment
Malfunctions manifested by the error code 0X000000A5 often result from the user's inattention to install the OS without first shutting down all peripheral equipment. According to the instructions from the professionals, all peripheral devices, when reinstalling Windows, must be disconnected, and only after performing the operation, connected in series with the PC. Accordingly, the solution of the problem can be elementary: remove all third-party hardware from the connectors, reinstall Windows: often these simple manipulations allow the OS to be installed without unpleasant precedents.
One of the most effective methods of dealing with the 0X000000A5 error appearing on a blue background is the BIOS update, especially in a situation where the user has not performed such a process for a long time. Often, programs installed on a PC are updated automatically, however, the BIOS is an exception to the rule, and it must be updated manually by the user with a certain regularity. To perform the task, the user needs to know the labeling and the manufacturer of the motherboard being used in order to enter the site of the hardware developer, and select the utility option for updating the BIOS in the latest variation. It is outdated morally and technically firmware can act as a provocateur for error 0X000000A5. The user will need to find an update on the site, download the necessary utility and carry out work on the BIOS firmware according to the modern requirements of the manufacturer, following the rules prescribed by the developers. If the “blue screen” was the result of an outdated BIOS, the software update performed will absolutely solve the problem.
A common causal factor in the appearance of a window with the code 0X000000A5 when installing Windows 7 is the incorrectness of the BIOS settings. The conditional settings can be checked and corrected in the following way:
- Enter the BIOS, by pressing the command displayed at the bottom of the screen when booting the PC: this is often the DEL directive, however, another key may be responsible for this option.
- The user, after activating the command, will open the BIOS window on a blue background, where you will need to go to the EXIT tab, located on the taskbar.
- In the task list, select OS Optimized Defaults, confirm the directive with the Enter key.
- Select the Win7 OS position in the list that appears at the bottom of the screen, and confirm the command.
- In the same EXIT tab, select the Load Default Settings position from the registry of the tasks, which will allow loading the BIOS default settings: confirm the directive by clicking the Yes button at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to the Configuration tab, where you need to select USB mode in the task list, change the USB 3.0 setting to USB 2.0, by selecting the latter from the registry that appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Confirm the changes made to the settings in the EXIT menu by selecting the Exit saving changes directive, and then pressing the Enter key and the Yes button in the dialog box that appears.
It remains to restart the PC: after the reboot, the error should disappear, and the computer will return to its previous mode of operation.
Troubleshooting when installing Windows XP
The discussed error is peculiar not only for Windows OS, the seventh and subsequent variations, but can also appear as a message with the cipher 0X000000A5 when installing Windows XP. Some users consider this notice identical for radically different systems from Microsoft, however, they are mistaken in this statement. It is noteworthy that on XP the error manifests itself only when installing or reinstalling the OS, and has no practical explanation for the occurrence - this causes its elimination in a far from ordinary and incomprehensible way, which consists in the following simple manipulations:
- When installing the OS, when a specified error appears, it is necessary to restart the PC and reinstall Windows XP with a departure from the schedule.
- At a specific stage of the process, when the message “Press F6 to install SCSI RAID drivers” appears on the screen, it is necessary, contrary to the requirements of the system, to press the F7 button.
This simple and incomprehensible manipulation will correctly complete the installation of the OS.
Error 0X000000A5 refers to complex software malfunctions, however, is subject to "treatment", and the elimination option depends on the specific root cause that provoked the precedent. If there is only one solution in the case of an error when installing Windows XP, then when operating other variations of the operating system, it’s worth analyzing at what stage of the problem there was a problem that would help narrow the range of its potential provocateurs. For example, if the error appeared after the PC went out of sleep mode, then the recovery measures would be cost-effective to start by disabling the hiberfil.sys file, and when reinstalling the system, you should first check for the presence of connected additional equipment, and only then proceed to exclude more complex reasons. Approach the solution of the question deliberately and rationally, and a positive result will not keep you waiting.