If you turned on the computer and found that all the shortcuts disappeared from the “Desktop”, as well as the “Taskbar” (and sometimes the screen remains empty and black), do not worry - this can be fixed. We will tell you about the possible reasons for this behavior of the PC and how to deal with them.
Why the Windows desktop does not load
There are several reasons why the Desktop does not load in Windows XP, 7, 8, or 10:
- System failure - in this case, the wallpaper is loaded, and the icons disappear along with the "Taskbar".
- The virus or unsuccessful cleaning of the PC from it is characterized by a totally black screen with no signs of any visualization.
- Incorrect registry correction, as a result of which the responsible process explorer.exe does not start, and you do not see any folders, files, software shortcuts, or splash screen.
- Badges are specially hidden - if you didn’t do this, it means that someone made fun of you. In this case, the wallpaper and the "Taskbar" remain in place.
Similar things can happen with any version of Windows: XP, 7, 8 and 10. The only additional reason why the Desktop is not displayed in Windows 10 is the release of incorrect updates. The developers themselves have not yet figured out what exactly the error was made, so it is easier to remove the update-packages, if the problem arose after their installation.
Restoring the "Desktop"
Well, well, now proceed to the regeneration of the "Desktop". First, check to see if the icons are hidden by hand. To do this, right-click on the "Desktop" field, select Viev and check the box next to Display Desktop Icons. If all the information returned to the field, then the problem is solved. If this does not happen, proceed to less obvious solutions.
Manual start of the explorer.exe process
As already mentioned, this process is responsible for rendering and when something happens to it: a malfunction, a sudden stop, etc., the Desktop disappears or does not load for a long time - sometimes Windows 7-10 manages to cope with the problem after some some time.
Let's try to restart on our own:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up the Task Manager. Sometimes another key combination is meant for this - it all depends on your Windows.
- Open the File - New task (Execute) tabs.
- You will see a line where you need to enter what you want to open - in this case it is explorer.exe. Confirm the action by clicking OK.
We write the command in the task window
Now the "Desktop" should be back with all its contents.
Change registry settings
Failure in the registry entries - the most common cause of the disappearance of the "Desktop": it does not boot and shows a black screen. To avoid such trouble (and many others), it is better to make a copy of the records before making any changes.
Now we will try to edit the entries again to return the "Desktop":
- Press Win + R, and in the appeared line type “regedit” (without quotes).
- An editor window will appear in which you need to select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch.
- In it open in sequence: SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon.
Making Steps in Windows-7 Registry Editor
- In the last folder, we are interested in two elements: Shell and Userinit. Let's start with the first one: double-click on it and see what is written in the “Value” line. There must be "explorer.exe". If not, replace the label.
- Similarly, open the information about the second element and type: C: \ Windows \ system32 \ userinit.exe.
Restart the system and check if the "Desktop" opens after the changes are made, in Windows 10 you will have to re-enter the password to log into the Microsoft account.
Viruses are also the most common cause of the disappearance of the "Desktop".
Therefore, the next thing to do if the “Desktop” does not load is to completely clean the system of suspicious software.
- First of all, download a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky or Dr. Web and run a full scan. It will take a lot of time - you can leave for the night. The programs offer several options for working with viruses: removal, moving to Quarantine or treatment. It is necessary to choose the deletion: a virus that “ate” the “Desktop” can get out of an isolated folder, and there is no point in treating it.
- If the PC is in disrepair, it is advisable to download on the website Dr. Web-specific system image with built-in virus cleaning utility - if you just reinstall the OS on top of the problem, the malware will remain on the disk. When you run the image, a Linux interface opens before you. If you are unfamiliar with it, find a set of commands for the "Terminal" in order not to search for the necessary folders on your own.