On the Internet, you can find applications for any purpose, versions of the same software for different operating systems, as well as with the label “Portable”. Such program variations are useful not only for system administrators, but also for regular users. So, downloading the necessary portable applications to a USB flash drive or other media, in addition to your computer, you can use them on others without having to install the necessary software in the system every time you need it. In addition to downloading ready-made programs from the Internet, you can create Portable versions of almost any application on your own by creating your own unique “must have” set that will suit your specific needs.
How to create a portable program.
Portable - what does it mean
To begin with, let us see what a Portable version of the program is, since not all users have come across this version of software. With the meaning of the adjective “Portable” used in the definition of the category of software, everything is clear, considering the essence of the word itself translated from English. In the computer sphere, portable, portable programs recorded on any medium with the ability to run directly from it are called. This will mean that neither the launching nor the functioning of the Portable-software require installation on the device, the applications work perfectly offline with a flash drive or disk. You can make a similar version of the various programs. Of course, professional software with high requirements does not lend itself to such metamorphoses, but basically you will be able to blind Portable from most of the software, regardless of its type and purpose.
Since for the full-fledged operation of the Portable version of the hard disk recorder program, the application is launched without installation, this means that the consumption of system resources will be reduced, and you can instantly use the necessary software if you have access to any PC or laptop. The advantages of using portable programs are obvious: having saved disk space, system resources and your own time, you are also not tied to your computer if you often work with certain software tools. In addition, this option of storing useful software is convenient and, if necessary, restoring the operating system.
The difference between portable versions of installed applications
With a standard software installation, usually starting with the use of the installation file with the extension “.exe”, the application with the main components is installed in the system along with all of its luggage in the form of libraries, a startup file, databases and other components used when working with the program . Sometimes the software also includes virtual device drivers used as controllers. In addition to copying all the components included in the program onto the hard disk, it is also registered in the system registry, and as you work with the application, its folders can be replenished with various elements. For this reason, the removal of software from a computer is not done by placing the directory with files in the recycle bin, but using the Control Panel, although in some cases this is not enough to completely eliminate the remnants, then the appropriate third-party tools are used. The extent of disk space and resource consumption may vary depending on the application.
Unlike the standard portable installation program on the computer does not require. It does not occupy space on the computer and does not register information about itself in the system registry (in some cases it is possible to create temporary keys that are automatically deleted upon completion of work). The launch of the portable version of the application is performed using an executable file (usually “.exe”, but other extensions can be used) located in the product folder. So, the user needs to download the software marked “Portable” and, after unpacking the archive, run the executable file from the directory. Of course, serious products, even in a portable version, will not consist of a single "executable", but the package of components is not as heavy as in the case of the installed application. Administrator privileges for working with a portable program are not required, since it does not modify the system files. All these factors provide a quick start for Portable-software, minimal use of RAM and no CPU load.
Where portable applications are used
The range of application of Portable-versions of programs is quite wide. Often, useful tools are used, such as boot managers for booting the OS, treating utilities, tools for system diagnostics, optimization, and other applications. But this does not mean that only a sysadmin needs to use such software. Users of various kinds of activities can use this opportunity simply by making the necessary application its portable version. Due to their functionality, the following tools are most in demand:
- OS emulators. Programs that emulate the operating system, come to the rescue when damage and malfunction of the standard OSes. Prior to setting the boot priority in the BIOS (from a disk or flash drive) and using the OS loader and emulator, you can boot a full system from the media and work with its functionality.
- Antivirus, diagnostic tools. Some viruses, penetrating the computer, can not only seriously damage the system, but also get to the components of the download. Even if the pests do not interfere with the launch of the system, they will not always be able to recognize, let alone remove, the installed protective software. In such situations, it saves the portable version of the utility, catching viruses in the boot sectors, RAM, etc., even before the launch of the OS.
It is possible to make a portable version of the program from almost any software that you need to always have at hand, whether it is a graphic editor or a video and audio processing tool, except for heavy professional software. You can write to the flash drive at least instant messengers with an automatically authorized account or browsers with their own settings, if you so convenient.
How to create a portable version of the application
If you want to get a Portable-software, you can download ready-made applications from the network or create your own. Creating a portable program does not require much effort and beyond the ability of the user. You can perform the procedure using special software, such as Thinstall Virtualization or others, or with the help of ordinary archivers.
How to make a program portable version using WinRAR
With the help of the famous WinRAR archiver, you can not only pack files into archives, but also create portable software. This program from the “must have” list is probably installed on each computer, but if for some reason you don’t have it, install it. It is necessary to close everything that will not be used before the process begins. The program from which we will sculpt its portable version must also be installed on the device. When all the preparatory work is completed, then proceed as follows:
- To convert a regular program into a portable one, we will create a continuous SFX archive, using the appropriate button and selecting the “Create a continuous archive” option.
- In the archive parameters specify the path "In the current folder."
- Go to the tab "Modes" and click "Unpack to a temporary folder."
- Check the box “Hide all”.
- If required, it is possible to select a shortcut in the “text and graphics” tab.
- We confirm the actions, and at the end of the process we will have a ready-made portable version of the program, which we can throw on the carrier.
How to create a portable version of the program using Cameyo
One of the methods of creating portable software involves the use of a special application. On the computer must be the installer of the program that needs to be converted and the actual program that will allow it to run. Consider how to make a portable application using the Cameyo utility:
- The software that will be converted to portable should not be installed on the computer, we only need an installer. All other applications not required for the procedure are closed.
- Download and launch Cameyo.
- Select the options “Capture an installation” offered after the start-up utility, click “OK”.
- The application will create a snapshot of the system to compare changes.
- At the end of the process, a notification will appear in the tray area, click the appropriate button to start the installer and install the necessary software.
- Make adjustments, that is, you need to configure the software for yourself immediately after its installation.
- At the end of the procedure, click the button “Install done”, after which the application will create another snapshot (after installing the software).
- After verifying both pictures, Cameyo will select an application from different OS states to create its portable version.
- After such simple manipulations, we will receive a message with the address where Cameyo located the portable version of the software.
- Go to the specified directory and pick up the finished portable version of the application.
The Cameyo program also has a built-in portable software editor, which more advanced users can use. You can also register on the site to get access to other features of the web service, for example, download ready-made portable programs from the presented range or store software in the cloud.
Creating applications like Portable is easy. The advantage of a handwritten creation of such programs is that you can pre-configure them for yourself and, having made a selection of the software that you need, work with it from removable media on any computer or laptop.