Users of the Windows operating system are forced to periodically come to grips with all sorts of errors and system failures that occur for various reasons. With the release of version 10, despite its regular cumulative updates, designed to eliminate existing errors and bugs, including patching security holes, there were no less problems. Among the many troubles that users had to face, the error 0x800f081f that occurs during the installation of patches for the Top Ten has become a frequent occurrence. A failure accompanied by a corresponding message with an indication of the code and some details interrupts the procedure, while re-updating does not correct the situation. The presence of an error with the same code is typical when installing the .NET Framework 3.5, although the nature of the failures, respectively, and the method of elimination will be different.
Methods for troubleshooting error 0x800f081f when updating Windows.
What causes the error code 0x800f081f
During the installation of fresh cumulative packages, a crash interferes with the process. The problem is relevant for systems based on x64 processors and can lead to malfunctions in Windows and computer hang, which will cause considerable inconvenience, so it is better not to delay the correction. The most likely reasons for causing the error code 0x800f081f when updating Windows 10 are the following:
- Corrupted operating system files, including update data;
- Incorrect operation of Windows Update, damage to service components;
- Installed patch conflict with already installed;
- Blocking update antivirus or firewall, a conflict between them.
You can get rid of the error that occurs during the installation of the update by removing the source of the problem, without resorting to extreme measures in the form of reinstalling Windows.
Solving installation problems
You can influence the situation using Windows tools, as well as using third-party tools. In addition to the implementation of standard recommendations, scan the system for viruses, clean debris, update drivers, the problem has a few more solutions. Consider how to fix the error 0x800f081f when updating Windows 10 ways that can be effective depending on the provoking factor.
System File Recovery
Features Windows allows you to scan and restore damaged system files by regular means. If the installation of the Windows 10 update was interrupted by a message containing the error code 0x800f081f, the reason may be the absence or violation of the integrity of some operating system data as a result of virus activity, software conflict or careless user actions. You can check for damage and restore files related to the execution of the update procedure using the System File Checker system tool:
- Run the command prompt as administrator. This can be done via the Run console (Win + R), where we write the cmd command in a line and hold down the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys, after which we confirm our intention to use the tool. The service can also be started via the Start search line (command line request). Pressing the right application on the corresponding application in the output results opens the context menu, where we select “Run as administrator”;
- In the window that opens, enter the sfc / scannow command, press the Enter key, then the system files scanning and recovery process will start if problems are detected, it may take some time.
From the report on the work performed, you will see whether the OS has damaged files and whether they have been restored. After restarting the computer, we check if the error has disappeared.
Disable antivirus and firewall
Integrated or installed on a computer third-party system protection tools often cause errors during software installation, including failure under the code 0x800f081f. Antiviruses, firewalls and even a standard system firewall can block not only malicious software and other unwanted processes, but also useful programs or processes, including also those that are automatically executed in Windows Update. If the error 0x800f081f, which occurred during the installation of the update, is caused by blocking by the security software, it should be disabled for the duration of the installation. Temporarily disabling protection will either confirm the guess, or exclude the antivirus, firewall from the list of “suspects”. To disable the system firewall on the top ten, do the following:
- Go to the Control Panel in any convenient way (from the Start menu, through the search box, from the shortcut on the desktop, etc.);
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the list;
- In the window that opens, in the block on the left, click "Enable or disable the Windows Defender Firewall";
- Move the checkboxes from the on / off option for all types of networks and save the changes.
Even faster, you can disable the firewall using the command line. To do this, run the service as an administrator and use the command netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off, press the enter key. To enable, the same command is used, but at the end instead of “off” we put “on”. If the firewall and the antivirus considered the upgrade process undesirable, which resulted in an error, after their deactivation you can install the update. The actions required to disable antivirus depend on the functionality of the software used. The complexity of the procedure is also no different.
Reset Windows Update Components
For starters, you can try to fix the error by deleting the Software Distribution directory, which contains already downloaded updates, service cache and logs (located at: C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution). Before deleting the folder, you should stop the Update Center (or run the net stop wuauserv command from the command line running as administrator, which also stops the service). This method is quite effective in some cases, but when it comes to violating the integrity of the Windows service files, the previous methods for resolving error 0x800f081f do not work. The solution to the problem is to reset the components of the Update Center to Windows 10. You can do this using a script by downloading it from the official Microsoft resource:
- Go to the download page and download the archive ResetWUEng;
- Unpack the archive and run the script as an administrator;
- When we are informed about the consequences of performing operations, we agree to pressing the "Y" key;
- From the 17 proposed options, choose action number 2 (press 2 and Enter);
- We are waiting for the execution of processes, after which a window will appear with options for action. Now press 17 and Enter to reboot the device.
In addition to the above solutions to the problem, you can also use the integrated troubleshooting service (in the system central office) or manually download and install the update by selecting it from the Windows 10 Updates page.