Symantec Endpoint Protection Anti-Virus was developed by California-based Symantec, which appeared on the Russian market during the Soviet period. Now the product is not much lower in popularity than firewalls like Dr. Web and Kaspersky, and especially often used to protect corporate computers connected by a common server. Below you will read how to install this antivirus, understand its functions or delete if necessary.
Configuring Symantec Endpoint Protection Antivirus.
Symantec Endpoint Protection Features
Any antivirus is designed to protect your computer from malicious programs, but each has its own set of functions designed to ensure comfortable work of the user. Symantec Endpoint Protection has the following features:
- Preventing network attacks - the sniffer recognizes not only viruses from the database, but also new ones - it analyzes software activity and recognizes malware by its “behavior”. Due to this, DoS, DDoS, ARP-attacks are blocked, to which both corporate and personal computers are exposed.
- Application Control - Antivirus offers fine-tuning of program access to important system components: registry, class collections and functions, files. The rule can be supplied with a description, in order not to forget why this way was indicated, or to inform the participants of the corporate network.
- Device lists - you can make a list of devices that are allowed or not allowed to connect to a PC: for Windows, only the type of device (modem, flash drive, hard disk, etc.) is indicated, and for Mac computers the hardware model is additionally indicated.
- Vulnerability Control - antivirus detects vulnerabilities in network connections and prevents attacks on them.
- Reputational analysis - antivirus collects information about unknown programs that are not detected as viruses, but behave strangely. They replenish the base on the Symantec cloud and later move to the main repository if they turn out to be dangerous. This mechanism allows you to immediately interrupt the download of a questionable file.
- Machine analysis - allows you to parse every bit of the file and see if it contains threats or not.
- “Sandbox” - to check for the presence of archived viruses, it is suggested to unpack them and run them in a special environment - the so-called “sandbox”, which replaces the OS. In this way, you can check unfamiliar or suspicious programs from unconfirmed sources.
- Antivirus is a standard protector that scans files and the system constantly and on demand, protects email, deletes, disinfects or isolates infected files. The latest update improves virus detection in drivers.
- Checking and troubleshooting security policies — the antivirus also monitors the firewall operation, installation of update packages, software and OS updates, and offers solutions to problems encountered with them.
- LiveUpdate is an integrated antivirus self-monitoring service that allows you to keep databases up-to-date and automatically download updates.
- Integration with analytical services Symantec - transmits data about the network and identifies possible attacks, as well as the reputation of sites and applications.
How to download and install a defender
Installing antivirus is not particularly difficult:
- Download the distribution kit on the official website: select how many devices you need to protect and for how long, then pay a subscription and receive an activation key (it comes to email).
- The program will ask you whether you want to install a single server provided by Symantec, or if you have an alternative. If you do not know what to choose, then stop at the first option.
How to configure Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- After installation, run the antivirus.
- Pay attention to the window of the Management Server Configuration Wizard: here you need to specify the administration password and a set of necessary functions.
- In the Type Of Site window, select the very first sentence.
- In the Server Information section, leave everything as it is.
- Add a special password in the Encryption Password section to regenerate in case of serious problems.
- In the Choosing A Database Server window, select Embedded database.
Customization and deployment of client software
Now let us analyze how to configure the installation of the anti-virus on the computers subordinate to the central server:
- Open the “Clients” tab and click “Add”.
- Then another Deployment Wizard window will open, in which you need to select “Deploy a new package”.
- In the line "Installing Packages" you need to select your OS, and in the line "Group" - all computers controlled by the administrator.
- In the "Installing feature sets" section, you can select the complete installation of all components or individual options.
- You can choose installation options:
- the addressee receives the distribution kit by e-mail;
- Real-time selected components are installed on specified PCs using an Internet connection;
- a distribution kit is being formed that can be saved on a USB flash drive and installed manually.
- Depending on the preferred method, follow the prompts of the built-in bot.
Now let's analyze the uninstallation of Symantec Endpoint Protection: as mentioned above, antiviruses need to be removed from the computer completely, otherwise the components will conflict with another protector. Product removal symantec endpoint protection is standard, but then the remaining fragments must be cleaned with a special program.
- Open the "Control Panel" (if you have Windows 10, then select the classic application, as in version 7).
- In the “Uninstall a program” section, select an antivirus from the list and wait until the uninstallation is complete.
- Download CCleaner or a similar application and analyze the registry, and then clear the entries found.
You can also temporarily disable Symantec if it bothers you. To do this, on the Taskbar, find the icon with its logo, right-click the manipulator, and select Disable Protection. Just remember that at this time the computer is in danger.