If you are going to reinstall the system, you probably already thought about how to save all the necessary files. When changing the system, we lose:
- The contents of the folders in the “Library” section: documents, videos, photos, music, etc.
- Installed programs, and with them the browser bookmarks, and other convenient settings, which are already accustomed to.
- All files on the "Desktop".
- Drivers for printers, scanners, graphics tablets and other equipment.
Even if you don’t remember that you have stored something valuable in these sections, you may find out later - you completely forgot about an important project that was quietly “hung” on the Desktop, and now it is irretrievably lost. Therefore, take care to protect all your data from being deleted. Next, we will tell you about the ways to save information when reinstalling the OS, including in cases when the system is damaged and many functions are not available.
Ways to reinstall Windows with saving data.
How not to lose files when reinstalling Windows
To begin with, how easy it is to reinstall Windows 10 without losing data. There are two options:
- use the option "Return the computer to its original state" - then nothing is lost, including installed programs;
- use the function "Start again" - in this case, you save photos, documents, music, etc., but lose the programs.
Whatever you choose, do not forget to do the following:
- transfer hardware drivers to drive D or a USB flash drive (for this purpose, a special program is useful that puts all the drivers in the archive, for example, DriverMax);
- save the most important projects to a USB flash drive or external hard drive (nothing is insured against technical failures);
- remember where your licenses and software keys are stored, because programs may require you to re-enter them. It will be an unpleasant surprise if you planned to quickly reinstall Windows and get to work, for example, in Adobe Illustrator. First, make sure that you have everything in stock, and only then proceed to reinstall the OS.
Now go to the most important thing. If you selected the option “Restart”, do the following:
- Connect your PC to the Internet - the connection should be stable and the traffic should be sufficient.
- Click "Start" and click on the cog wheel.
- Select "Update and Security, " subsection "Recovery."
- Look at the “Additional Recovery Options”, you will see that the option can be deployed, and it says: “Learn how to start over with a clean installation of Windows.”
- Click “Getting Started” and follow the simplest steps that the built-in bot will recommend.
If you selected “Return PC to its original state”, do the following:
- Again click on the gear in the Start menu.
- Open "Update and Security" - "Restore" - "Return to its original state."
- You will be immediately asked whether to save the data - indicate that yes, and continue to follow the prompts.
Now let's reinstall Windows 7 without losing data:
- Insert the boot disk or USB flash drive - it will be better if the new Windows will be later than the old one, otherwise problems may arise.
- We do not start right away from the flash drive - we turn on the computer, as usual, open the "Computer" and expand the contents of the removable media.
- Find the Setup.exe icon and double-click on it with the left button, and then select "Install".
- Now we leave this window alone and go to "Control Panel" - "Support Center" - "Restore" - "Advanced Options".
- Here we choose as a basis for the restoration of our flash drive.
- This will be followed by archiving and several reboots, downloading updates (it’s better not to skip), and finally we will be asked to indicate the appropriate type of installation. Select "Update" in order not to lose data.
Thus, everything will be at your disposal, including installed applications and bookmarks in browsers.
How to save files from the desktop
The methods are fair and the same, both for Windows 10 and 7. They are as follows:
- You can insert a USB flash drive, create a folder on it “Desktop” and drag everything that you see on the “Desktop” there.
- Not to forget anything and not to miss, you can do otherwise: insert a USB flash drive, open "Computer" - "Drive C" - "Users" - "Your_user_name" -Desktop and transfer the last folder to the drive.
How to save files from drive C
Now let's talk about the unpleasant situation when you would like to reinstall Windows 7 with data security, but the system is already so damaged that you do not have access to its functions. In this case, you can still save the information stored on the C drive, and only then quietly install a new Windows. So, here are two ways:
- If you know a little about the physical device of your PC, you can remove the hard drive and insert it into another computer, and then copy everything that is there.
- If you can not dismantle the hard drive, then you need to download a special boot record for disaster recovery system. Such a package is offered by antivirus developers, for example, Dr. Web (distributed free of charge on the official website). The distribution is launched through BSVV and offers, among other things, cleaning from viruses. The only inconvenience for those who worked only on Windows is that the Linux interface will unfold before you. Do not worry: just press Ctrl + Alt + T immediately and enter the command in the window that appears: locate win. The system will find a folder with Windows, open it and copy everything you need to a separate media.
What to do before reinstalling Windows
Now you know how to reinstall Windows in any state, without losing data. Summarizing the article, I would like to briefly formulate the procedure before the procedure:
- Save all files from the “Desktop” and from the “Libraries” section.
- Make sure you don’t lose the license keys for important programs.
- Archive and save yourself hardware drivers so that you do not have to search for them on the Internet.
- Connect to the Internet via a local connection or Wi-Fi to avoid glitches. If you are using a USB modem, then configure its automatic connection — during the reinstallation process, the system will reboot and you will not be able to manually establish the connection.