Internet browsers have for many years been the main tool for user interaction with web resources. They are improving, replenished with new options, providing with each update more and more features. Popular browsers, the brainchild of well-known companies, are distinguished by high quality of work and speed, but they are also not without periodic failures, in particular with regard to the integrated Shockwave Flash plug-in. This module is used to play video, audio, animations, presentations, game and other content on web pages. But it happens that the tool refuses to work, what the user is notified of by the appropriate message "Shockwave Flash Plugin is not responding." Reproduction of content from resources using HTML5 technology will not affect the problem in any way, but sites that work with Flash will not be able to provide interactive user interaction and provide graphical information when an error occurs. With one-time failures, the usual rebooting of the system often helps, but if the problem is deeper, then this method will not work and you will have to work a little to solve it.
Solving problems with the Shockwave Flash plugin.
Why does the problem of flash plug-in occur?
With the crash, accompanied by the message "Plug-in Shockwave Flash is not responding" (or "Shockwave Flash has crashed"), many users are familiar with using Google Chrome or other browsers. As a rule, the problem is provoked by the conflict of flesh-players installed in the browser, which occurs when you go to a web page or try to open content. Users often additionally install Adobe Flash, while the browser already contains a built-in module, and they cannot work together. So, when trying to play, none of the instruments is inferior to the other, as a result of which there is a failure in the Shockwave Flash plug-in, as indicated by the corresponding message.
How to eliminate the conflict Shockwave Flash
Consider what to do if the browser plugin crashes as a result of a conflict between external and embedded modules. You can fix the error by turning off one of the players:
- In the Google Chrome browser, up to version 56, plug-ins could be viewed by typing chrome: plugins in the address bar and disable the integrated module. Now access to the tab control plug-ins closed. If the old version of Chrome is used, then to disable one of the modules, go to the advanced browser settings, where in the "Personal data" block, select "Content Settings", then Plugins - Manage individual plugins. At the top right, click the "More" button and look at the location of the module (the built-in browser will be in the folder with the program installed in the system - in the Windows folder), then disable the one in Windows;
- In the new version of Chrome, you can get to the Flash module by going to Settings - Advanced - Content settings - Flash. Three options will be available here, the first “Block Flash on sites” blocks the content, by moving the slider, you change the value to “Always ask”, which allows you to activate the content via the context menu. The options "Block" and "Allow" imply the formation of a list where Flash will be blocked or enabled;
- For Opera, in order to gain access to the plugins, enter opera: plugins in the address bar, and in the Mozilla Firefox browser, you can manage them by going to the "Add-ons" section of the toolbar.
The problem of the appearance of the failure "Failed to load Shockwave Flash" is also solved by removing the external plug-in. The action is performed through the Control Panel - Programs and components. Here in the list of installed software will be Adobe Flash, which can be removed by clicking on it with the right mouse button.
How to fix plugin crashes in browsers
If the Shockwave Flash module does not respond or slows down the computer, there are several solutions for different browsers.
We eliminate the failure in the Opera
Problems with the work of the plugin in the Opera browser can be triggered by incorrect updates and are often solved by restarting Shockwave Flash, that is, turning it off and on. You can find a module among others by typing opera: plugins into the address bar, after which a list of available modules will appear, where you will see the Flash player, at the top right you need to click "Show details". In the opened window with the information, the button for disconnecting the plug-in will be available. Other methods of solving the problem involve the following actions:
- Installing an updated version of the Flash module;
- Clearing the cache and deleting information in the module directory (type% appdata% \ Adobe in the computer search and delete all the information in the Flash Player folder, then use the search and query% appdata% \ Macromedia line to find the folder with the same name and delete the entire Flash- directory player);
- Delete Flash Player data through the Control Panel;
- Disabling hardware acceleration (the option is usually set by default, and you can deactivate it when you switch to any resource that uses flash to display content, right-click on the context menu on the video, select the Parameters section and remove the checkmark in Hardware Acceleration).
If the playback problem has not been resolved, you will need to update your browser by selecting the “About” item in the main menu. A system window opens where you can search for updates. From the official website of the developer download fresh software packages available for free. If the problem was an outdated version of the program, it will be solved after updating it to the current one. Sometimes you may need to reinstall the browser.
How to fix crash in Mozilla Firefox
Similarly, the problem is solved in Firefox browser. You can update the program by downloading the new version of software from the official website or using the built-in browser functionality:
- In the browser window at the top right, press the menu button in the form of three bars;
- Click on the Help icon in the form of a question, select "About Firefox";
- The search for updates will start automatically; you will need to restart your browser to install them.
In the event that the problem was provoked by an inappropriate version of the browser and the plug-in, it will be solved. If the method did not help, you will need to pause the module. To disable the Flash player, do the following:
- In the browser menu, select "Add-ons";
- Go to the section "Plugins" and find in the list of Shockwave Flash, opposite it set the option "Enable on request."
After these manipulations when visiting resources that support Flash, the system will ask the user for enabling the plug-in. If you select “Never enable” in the settings, this will lead to a complete deactivation of the module, which will subsequently require you to take extra steps if it is necessary to turn it on.
One by one, popular browsers include support for more up-to-date and advanced HTML5 technology, which is already pushing back the habitual Flash to the background. Many network resources are also actively introducing the new standard, while most services leave the user the right to choose the format (in case the browser version does not support innovation), so with the universal integration of HTML5 it is possible that the problem of media playback errors on the Internet will soon cease exist.