If after installing any program from a dubious resource, your computer was attacked by endless pop-up windows, the browser does not open from the usual page, but from some strange blog or store, sound notifications pop up, advising you to clean the system, check for updates or something else similar, the source of this behavior of the PC can be a WinSnare virus. It is unpleasant for two reasons:
- it is impossible to work comfortably with a PC - the windows pop up right in the middle of the working field, the processes associated with them are put in the execution priority, and everything else that you run slows down;
- it is dangerous to use payment systems, mail, social networks - you risk losing your account and your money, since all the entered information is copied and sent to the unknown.
Danger and removal of the WinSnare application.
What is Winsnare
WinSnare changes the main browser page, displays banners and gives permission to install other useless and even harmful software, which makes one suspect - someone created this to ensure that the virus program persistently involved new people to view and popularize some sites, i.e. it is advertising. On the one hand, there is little good in this: if WinSnare takes possession of your mail or social network page, then spam and dangerous links will be sent to other people later, features of creating a login and password will add to the statistics and allow criminals to improve their skills in the hacking field. But on the other hand, such software does not pursue the goal of disabling your PC, and there is an opportunity to get rid of the virus without consequences. Technically, WinSnare works like this:
- It is embedded in the computer and stored on the system disk, replacing a really important element of the OS: svchost.exe, which starts the service. Thus, the virus is able to install other applications at its own discretion without asking for your permission.
- Further, he gives the command “Task Manager” to constantly carry out its processes, and loads the system, and also postpones everything you have planned for later: that is, the sound in the film may be delayed, it may slow down the saving of files, etc.
- In all browsers that you have installed, not only the home page changes - instead of the requested site you are redirected to others with questionable content. At the same time, even installed extensions do not save: anti-banners, anti-phishing, shock advertising blockers and others.
- All logins and passwords that you enter in the browser are copied and sent to attackers.
How WinSnare gets to the computer
Probably, you already understood that when WinSnar was already embedded in the PC, it is able to act independently, but in order to “take root” in the system, this application needs you to install it. How can this happen:
- When you download a program from free but not reliable sources and run the installer, you are offered to use the recommended installation parameters and assure that this is the most correct option. But it is better to stop at the “custom installation”: then you will be shown a complete list of distribution components. Among them may be not only WinSnare, but also other garbage: “managers” of all stripes, obscure browsers, optimization programs and so on.
- Sometimes on the openly dangerous sites you can download the installer, which is only called the name of the program you need, and the content is completely different. Carefully read what is written on the screen saver installation window, and interrupt the process immediately, if something seems strange to you.
- Remember, when downloading archives with pictures, texts, presentations, etc., that their files cannot be with the .exe extension. In this form, there are only distributions of programs and self-extracting archives (as well as some other executable elements, but the ordinary user does not deal with them). WinSnare is distributed in this format.
To protect yourself, you need to install an antivirus and enable blocking of phishing and potentially dangerous resources in your browser.
How to remove WinSnare from your PC
To completely get rid of WinSnare and the consequences of its "activity", you will need:
- good anti-virus utility;
- program for automatic registry cleaning.
First of all, download antivirus from the official developer site. Let it be even a demo version, but licensed and effective.
- Run a deep check and do not interrupt it.
- Check the provided list of viruses and isolate them, or delete them.
- Clear the Temp folder, located on the C drive (Users / username / AppData / Local).
- Uninstall also the software with which you associate the appearance of WinSnare.
- Also download CCleaner or a similar program you can trust.
- Analyze the registry and clear all broken entries (repeat the operation several times).
- Restart the system.
Now we need to return the normal settings to browsers:
- If you are using Google Chrome, open it, click on the icon with three lines at the top and select “Options” - “Settings” - “Advanced”. At the end of a long list there will be a reset button for all parameters - click on it. Close the browser, right-click on its shortcut and look at "Properties". If in the Object field the link address ends with a suspicious site, delete it.
- In “Yandex. Browser ”does the same thing: at the top of the maximized window, find the button in the form of three lines, enter“ Parameters ”, scroll to the bottom of the page and reset everything preset.
- In Mozilla, click the exact same icon at the top right, and at the bottom of the page click on the question. You need to select "Solve problems" and reset the settings.
- To put in order the “Operas”, you need to go not to the browser itself, but to “Drive C” / Users / username / AppData / Roaming / Opera / OperaStable and delete the last folder.
Now the system and browsers will work fine without the interference of malware.