The Etcher program allows you to create installation flash drives, i.e., it writes an image of the operating system to the drive, which is then read and starts the installation. This can be done manually, but if you are an inexperienced user, the slightest mistake can turn out to be a failure and wasted time. Etcher automates the process, and you can create bootable media with maximum comfort, and for any OS: Windows, Linux, Mac. And then we will analyze in detail how to install Etcher on different platforms and how to work with it.
Work with the program Etcher.
How to install or remove Etcher in Windows
Like any other program:
- Download the distribution from the official site.
- Double click on the saved file or unpack the items if they are in the archive.
- Select the folder to save the program and launch the installation, simultaneously following the prompts.
- When the installation is complete, you will receive a notification.
There is also a portable version that you do not need to install - it runs from any carrier. Just click on the distribution file, and a working field will appear. Just do not dump Etcher on the same flash drive where the OS will be recorded. To remove an application, you need to enter the “Control Panel”, find it in the list and click the corresponding button above. The portable version is deleted as a normal file with information - right click of the mouse - the option “Delete”.
How to install or remove Etcher on Linux
Installing Etcher on Linux is possible in several ways - choose the most convenient for you. The first is almost no different from the above when it came to Windows:
- Download the file from the official site again, just choose the version for Linux.
- Unpack the archive (just pull files out of it to the Desktop with the mouse).
- Run by double click.
The second method requires more manipulations, but if you want the software to be automatically updated, feel free to go to it.
- Copy the link to Etcher from the developer’s site.
- Open the section in the menu "Applications and Updates" - "Other".
- Next, click "Add" and paste the link into the line.
- Click the button "Add source".
Now you need to confirm admin rights:
- Press Alt + F2, enter in the field: “konsole”, and then click “Enter”.
- Enter the query “su root” and then the following commands: “sudo apt-key adv —keyserver hkp: //pgp.mit.edu: 80 —recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61” and “sudo apt update && sudo apt install etcher-electron” .
- All Etcher successfully installed on Ubuntu.
To remove it, call the “Console” again and give it the command: “sudo apt remove etcher” and then another one: “sudo apt purge etcher”.
How to install or remove Etcher on Mac
Mac is still easier:
- Go to the AppStore and find the application.
- Agree with the download.
- Etcher will automatically install on your PC without any effort on your part.
If you received the distribution kit in another way, for example, from the developer’s site, the order is slightly different:
- Double-click the installer file to open its contents.
- Look for the item in the .app format and move it to the program folder.
To remove the software, open the folder under the “Programs” heading, find Etcher, click on it with RMB and move it to the “Trash”. All files associated with it will disappear.
How to use Etcher
The application behaves the same on all platforms, so the instruction will be general:
- Prepare an optical disk image file and save it to your computer.
- Insert a USB flash drive.
- Run the application.
- Click on the blue button and specify the location of the image.
- The second step is to choose a flash drive - specify your own, it should contain at least 4 GB of memory and be empty, with no information.
- Click the next button and wait for the recording to complete.
Sometimes the program rejects the drive, indicating it as unsuitable for the purpose. Try changing it or formatting it.