Permissions that root privileges can provide have always been a welcome reward for most users of devices running the Android operating system. One of the main steps required to obtain the above privileges is to unlock the bootloader, also known as “Bootloader”, which informs the operating system kernel about the regular boot. For obvious reasons, namely due to the desire of manufacturers to prevent unauthorized modifications of their devices, the default loader is not available to the user, and how to get around this lock will be discussed in this article.
Unlock Bootloader methods on Android.
Work with the loader
So, for starters, it should be noted that mobile device manufacturers are investing huge amounts of money and efforts to prevent unauthorized changes, which makes the unlocking process extremely difficult, and sometimes do not involve this action at all. In fact, if we speak in the simplest language, then all devices can be divided into two categories: the first are those where “legal” unlocking is provided, the second are those where it is impossible to do it legally. And it is important to understand that the actions that will be described below refer to devices from the first category and the most “legal” (if this concept is allowed in this context) unlock methods. The second category assumes an even greater individuality and to prevent extremely undesirable consequences, it is necessary to understand exactly which device the user has, what cannot be covered in one article and is more suitable for thematic it-forums. Let's get started
ProcedureIMPORTANT. It should be understood that the actions considered in case of unsuccessful execution can lead to the fact that your gadget turns into a “brick” and simply refuses to turn on.
In addition, the above procedure is guaranteed to lead to the removal of all content on your smartphone / tablet, so the first thing to take care of is to ensure the safety of all the information important to you, after which you can proceed directly to the basic manipulations, which look like this:
Step 1 - Android SDK and USB Drivers:
- Visit the site //developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and download the Android SDK developer tools;
- Unpack the archive and run the file "SDK Manager". If you have difficulty activating it, for example, if the window closes immediately when you open it, try installing the java package, which is available on the official website;
- In the opened window in the Tools folder check the box “Android SDK Platform-tools” and click on the Install Packages and Accept license buttons;
- Wait for the download and installation of all necessary components;
- Manually download and install the drivers for your gadget that are necessary for the full and proper operation of your smartphone or tablet in conjunction with a computer, for example, for Sony Xperia the driver is loaded from the official page "//developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/fastboot-driver", for Hiuawei, they are part of the HiSuite package.
Step 2 - Debug:
- In the “Platform-tools” folder mentioned above and with the “SHIFT” key held down, right-click on an empty section of the screen and select the “Open command window” item;
- Run the command “adb devices” and in response to this, you will see the serial number of the Android device;
- On the smartphone / tablet, open “Settings” and go to the “About phone” section;
- Find the line “Build number” and tap on it until a message appears and assigning developer credentials;
- Go back to the main settings section and open a new menu item with the eloquent title “For Developers” and if there is a line “Unlock OEM” (which is not always), click on it;
- Activate the item “Debug USB” and, if necessary, enter the password;
- Connect your smartphone / tablet to your computer and in response to the message “Allow USB debugging?” Select “Always allow on this PC.”
Step 3 - Unlock Key:
The further procedure will depend on the device of which manufacturer is available. The general procedure for obtaining an unlock key is approximately the same - it is necessary to visit the manufacturer’s thematic page, which is dedicated to the topic in question and do the whole range of manipulations provided for by the instructions.
- "Sony Xperia - //developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/"
- "HTC - //www.htcdev.com/bootloader"
- "Huawei - //emui.huawei.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail"
- "LG - //developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev"
This process is meaningless to describe in detail, since it is individual in nature, and the only thing that should be noted here is that after receiving the unlock key from the manufacturer as a file with the extension “.bin”, place it in the Platform-tools folder ".
Step 4 - Working with “Bootloader”:
- Turn off the tablet or smartphone;
- Hold down the power and volume down buttons to boot into Fastboot mode. This does not work for all models of mobile gadgets, so if necessary, specify an individual procedure for you;
- Using a USB cable, connect the device to the computer;
- By analogy with the above points in Step 2, open the "Open command window";
- Enter the commands provided for your model, for example:
"Fastboot flashing unlock - for Nexus 5x and 6p"
"Fastboot oem unlock - for other Nexus (older)"
"Fastboot oem unlock unlock_code unlock_code.bin - for HTC"
“Fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin - for LG”
- In response to the executed command on the smartphone / tablet, you may be asked to confirm the unlock, where you must select "Yes";
- Wait until the work is completed, taking into account that the process may take quite a long time, this also applies to the first launch of the OS after the actions performed;
- Be patient and do not arbitrarily interrupt the loading of the operating system and the regular activation of the device.
At this point, the process of unlocking the bootloader can be considered complete. As can be seen from all of the above, nothing excessively difficult to work with the loader is not. Everything is quite simple and clear, especially when the manufacturer has provided this opportunity and provided detailed instructions on how to get the key. In conclusion, it should be noted once again that only you are responsible for the possible negative consequences of an incorrectly performed procedure. Before you start any active actions, you should think a few times.