Many dozens of users when trying to install Apple's iCloud client and some new games get a strange error message. Windows says Media Feature is missing. What is the problem and how to solve it?
Rules for installing Media Feature Pack on Windows 10.
Causes of error
10-app owners who also use Apple products can install iCloud. Some of them are faced with an unexpected completion of the installation and the message:
“Your computer does not have multimedia features. Download the Media Feature Pack from the Microsoft website, install and try again. "
This program needs the Windows multimedia features that are not found in the system. What is the reason for missing packages by 10?
Reason 1: Windows version 10 N
The first reason why the above message may appear during the iCloud installation is that you are using the Windows version 10 N (or KN). These versions were introduced by Microsoft under pressure from the EU Commission and the Korean government. Both add-ons do not contain multimedia packages and a standard media player. If you have a Windows 10 N version installed, you can add multimedia features via package installation. There is a separate package for each system assembly.
Reason 2: Multimedia features are deactivated.
If you are not using Windows 10 N, but get an error during the installation of iCloud, the package cannot be installed on such a platform - the functions are already included in the operating system.
Reason 3: WMP Antivirus Software Blocks
Error code 0x800F0821 when trying to add WMP in Windows 10 indicates that the operation was interrupted. To solve the problem, simply remove the antivirus. Tested on the example of Avira.
How to download the Media Feature Pack installer and why it is not installed
Windows 10 "N" includes the same features as other versions of Windows 10, with the exception of multimedia technology. N does not contain Windows Media Player, Skype and some pre-installed multimedia applications (music, video, voice recorder). And most often the Media Feature Pack on Windows 10 is not installed. Media related tools that are not provided in Windows 10 N include the following:
- Windows Media Player user interface. Includes Windows player features, such as media and audio playback, media management in the library, playlist creation, providing metadata for multimedia (including album art), creating an audio CD, transferring music to a portable music player, playing streaming web content .
- Windows Media format. Allows you to play multimedia documents system format ASF, audio and video codecs Windows Media, provides standard streaming and DRM.
- Windows Media DRM. Controls the delivery of protected content to a PC monitor, portable or network device.
- Infrastructure portable devices Windows1 (WPD). Connects with connected drives, including gadgets with built-in media transfer protocol.
- VC-1, MPEG-4, H.264, H.265 and H.263 codecs. Support for actions that include playback and creation of multimedia files encoded with standard codecs.
- Groove. Preloaded application that is used to play digital music.
- Video. Preloaded application that is used to play digital video.
- Dictaphone. Preloaded application that is used to record sounds.
- Skype Installed application that is used for messaging and video calls.
If you are using Windows 10 N, you will have to install other software from Microsoft or other developers. Without them, you will not be able to play or create audio CDs, multimedia files and videos; transmit music; edit and store photos, etc.
- Go to the Media Feature Pack download page at Microsoft.
- Select the desired language and tap / tap “Download”.
- Select the OS bit depth - 32 or 64, and press / touch “Next” to download.
- Save the MSU file where it suits you.
- Double-click / tap the downloaded MSU file to install.
After the installation is complete, restart the PC and test the applications.
How to enable media feature pack in windows
Type "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Windows search bar and press Enter. Find the option "Components for working with multimedia" and turn it on (check the box). Done!
Through the registry
Sometimes the message "Request for multimedia features is an obsolete requirement of Windows 7." If none of the above solutions solve the problem, start the regedit.exe registry editor as an administrator. Navigate to the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Setup \ WindowsFeatures \
and change the DWORD value in WindowsMediaVersion to 1. If this entry is missing, add a new DWORD value to WindowsMediaVersion. Then reinstall iCloud.