Windows 10 of the latest versions has a habit of carefully reminding users about the need to optimize the system by sending messages: “Not enough space on such and such a disk.” As soon as the threshold of 200 MB is reached at one of them, you will be aggressively asked to remove unnecessary information.
Correcting Windows Error "Not enough disk space".
Why not enough disk space
As a rule, the system disk C is most often clogged (you may have it under a different name), because it accumulates garbage, cache, temporary files, programs are installed here and draw resources for work. Periodically you need to make cleaning - then you will learn how to do it. In addition, there is a separate Recovery section on the hard disk where the necessary data is stored to regenerate the system in case of its damage. It is deliberately hidden from the user's eyes so that important information does not disappear, but a bug has appeared in the latest OS update packages and the folder is displayed, causing notifications about memory deficit. It is not possible to clear this folder with simple means - long manipulations are required, which can negatively affect Windows 10. In this case, when the system writes a message: “There is not enough disk space”, alerts simply turn off so that they do not interfere. If you have additional disks for storing files, you can also receive a similar notification - this means that the memory reserves are coming to an end. Here, go to your discretion: you can delete unnecessary, or disable alerts.
If there is not enough space on the system disk C (you can have it written under a different letter), as well as in its sections f and e, you need to clean them to avoid the OS hanging and the difficulties with running programs. The lack of disk space D (non-system) does not have serious consequences for the PC, but periodically you need to view it and delete unnecessary - otherwise there is nowhere to store the files that you usually leave there: movies, photos, work projects, etc. Now let's talk about cleaning the system disk:
- Open "Explorer" - "Computer" - "Disk C" and click the "Disk Cleanup" button. A window will open with a list of files and folders that you can get rid of. Check the box next to each one. If you installed a new OS on top of the old one, this list may contain the Windows.old folder - absolutely useless, but taking up a lot of space. We confirm our determination to clear the disc by pressing the appropriate button and wait for the result.
- Open the line “Search” and enter: “Device memory”, select the item “Memory control” - “Change the method of automatic release of space”. Check the option to delete temporary files and downloads that are stored for more than a month. With downloads, be careful not to lose important information - immediately transfer them to another location.
- Click Win + R, in the appeared window write: “cmd” and click “Inter”. Command Line will appear where you need to enter: pnputil.exe / e> c: \ drivers.txt and click Inter again.
You will see a list of all the drivers that are in the OS. Many of them are not used - these are old versions and “remnants” of deleted programs, they can be removed. Return to the Command Line and give the installation: pnputil.exe / d oemХХ.inf. "XX" replace the driver number in the list. If it is relevant, do not worry - the system simply will not remove it.
- Type in "Search": "Control Panel" and click on the icon that appears. Select "Programs and Features", carefully review which of them you no longer need, and delete them.
If the disk C is sorely lacking in space, you can free it by the disk D. To do this, perform the following:
- Open “Explorer”, find the “This Computer” icon on the left and right-click on it.
- Select in the list of actions "Management" - "Disk Management."
- Click on the D PKM disk and select "Compress". The utility will calculate how many megabytes are not occupied. Fill in the appropriate field, the number of MB, which you want to expand the system disk (remember that in 1GB = 1000 MB) and click "OK".
- Now note that “Disk 0”, the total memory of the entire PC, is filled with free megabytes. To connect them to C, right-click on it and select "Expand".
- The utility itself will offer you a released piece - just agree with this and confirm the operation.
Disable disk space notifications in Windows 10
To disable the message about low memory, use the instruction:
- Open Windows Search and enter the Run request. Run the found application and give it the command "regedit". Click "OK".
- A window will appear in which you need to select the HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer section. The last folder "Explorer" may be missing, then open the previous one, and above, in the folder management tools, find the button "Create". Remember to rename it.
- Now we will create a parameter: click RMB - “Create” - “DWORD parameter 32 bits” (even if you have a PC of a different capacity). Call it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
- Now you see in the “Value” column, opposite the new parameter, zeros. Click on it twice and change to one.
- After that, close all windows and restart the PC, making the changes take effect.
Now you know how to remove the disk load notification. However, after you get rid of the alerts, you will have to independently monitor the status of drive C and clean it in time.