With the development of the Internet, users have an incredible number of opportunities. Now everyone can use a computer or other device with access to a network filled with variegated resources for their own purposes. The World Wide Web has given us a lot of fun, opportunities to find the right information in a matter of seconds, communication, self-development, learning, making money in many ways, etc. And everything would be fine, but not without its side effects. The Internet has also opened up ways for intruders to cheat in its various manifestations. Since today access to the network is available to everyone, including children, it is worth taking care of the security of the devices from which you connect. Scammers and other pests have divorced a lot, besides the Internet is teeming with dangerous content and materials "for adults." Adequate parents are trying with all their might to protect their young children from such misfortunes and about “parental control”, intended just for such cases, everyone knows.
Work with Yandex DNS on different devices.
As you know, the option integrated into the Microsoft operating systems is quite a useful tool, but all the settings are reduced to restrictions and prohibitions on a child visiting certain resources, although modern children even tinker with disabling protection, puzzling their parents. Yandex offers a more advanced version of “parental control”. The service called Yandex DNS will protect against the influence of dangerous, virus-infected resources, protect against bots, which are tools of malicious activity, protect children from sites with pornographic content or other 18+ content, and speed up work with sites and will be useful for adult users. In this case, the user does not have to dig into the settings for a long time. Let's take a closer look at what a service is, how to configure it on different devices, and how to disable Yandex.DNS if protection is no longer required.
Yandex.DNS what is it
DNS (Domain Name System) - literally translated as a domain name system. A free service from a well-known Russian developer is an address book containing the numeric addresses of all sites. By opening websites, the Internet browser finds their “place of residence” in the DNS, so the speed of access to the resource depends on the speed of the nearest server. A tool from Yandex with a choice of filtering level allows you to safely visit various sites, since those that contain malicious code or unwanted content will be blocked. You can configure the service for different devices individually, as well as for the router, while protecting all devices connected to the home network.
Three Yandex.DNS operation modes are available for selection:
- Basic, providing speed and reliability (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168);
- Safe, protecting against fraudsters and virus threats (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199);
- Family, protecting against materials 18+ (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206).
The work of the service is as follows:
- Increase speed. Yandex has more than 80 DNS servers located in Russia and abroad. Requests are processed by the server located closest to the user, because websites open much faster using Yandex.DNS service;
- Protection against sites with dangerous content. Yandex.DNS protects against sites that can infect the device and fraudsters who get money from accounts, passwords and other data. When switching to the site, a service equipped with its own antivirus will prevent it from loading and display a warning message. Anti-Virus functions on the basis of Yandex algorithms and Sophos technology;
- Protection against malicious bots. In addition to sites that are seeking to put a virus into your computer, another threat is thriving on the network - bots that, penetrating the system of the device, control it. These programs organize networks of devices from unsuspecting users in order to attack servers, steal passwords and send spam messages. In order to carry their service, the bots connect to the servers that control them, while Yandex.DNS prevents communication with the monitoring servers, so that even if the device becomes infected, the service will be able to block oxygen from pests. Information about bots activation is shared with the Virus Tracker system service;
- Protection from content 18+. Yandex.DNS protects the smallest users from information for adults. Thanks to Yandex search algorithms, web resources containing similar content will be identified and not viewed.
We configure Yandex.DNS on the computer
Setting up a service is not very complex and does not require any special knowledge and skills from the user. Following the instructions, a novice will cope with the task. For a computer connected to the network via an Ethernet cable (twisted pair) or the only device where the configuration should be performed, the method with changing DNS in the network settings is suitable. On different operating systems, the actions are slightly different, but the principle is one. Let's consider how to configure Yandex.DNS on a desktop computer or laptop:
- Go to the Network Control Center via the Control Panel;
- In the menu on the left, find and click "Change adapter settings";
- You can also go to the settings via Start (right click of the mouse) - Network connections - Configure adapter settings;
- Depending on the type of connection to the network, on the corresponding tab (connection via local or wireless network), right-click the manipulator to display the context menu, where we press "Properties";
- In the new window, select the IP version 4 protocol (TCP / IPv4) and click "Properties";
- We put a marker in the column "Use the following IP-address" and enter the preferred DNS below, for example, 77.88.8. (Family mode);
- Click OK.
After these manipulations, the computer will be protected from malicious sites and portals for adults.
Sometimes the service overdoes with protection, you may not be able to access those sites, the degree of security of which the filter did not consider sufficient to visit the resource. Or you decide to open access to the "strawberry", and Yandex. DNS blocks access to such sites on the computer. You can always remove the filtering by performing the manipulations reverse activation of the service. In the properties of the connection protocol, simply remove the token from the item “Use the following IP address” by moving it in the column “Obtain an IP address automatically”. You can also remove one filtering mode and set another one. For this, delete the registered numbers and enter those that correspond to the desired Yandex.DNS mode.
We configure Yandex.DNS on the smartphone
On modern mobile devices, changing DNS settings is also available. Setting up Yandex.DNS on Android is easy:
- Go to the Wi-fi settings (the menu of smartphones may differ slightly depending on the firmware version, but in general the actions are similar for different OS variations);
- We are looking for an active access point, click and hold;
- In the menu that appears, select the function "Change network";
- Put a marker next to the item “Advanced settings”, go down and select “DHCP”, then activate the “Static” mode;
- Find “DNS 1” and add Yandex Yandex (the numbers of the filtering mode you chose);
- Save the result.
Shutting down the DNS Yandex service is the reverse way.
We configure Yandex.DNS on the wireless Wi-fi adapter
Setting up a filtering service is easy on the router. After the procedure, the specified filters will be distributed to all devices connected to this network. Settings may vary depending on the router model, but the principle of operation is the same:
- Open the device settings;
- We pass authorization (we enter login / password);
- Go to Network Settings (Network - WAN);
- We mark "Use these DNS servers" ("Use These DNS Servers");
- We specify the preferred and alternative DNS and save the parameters;
- Reboot the device.
Disabling Yandex.DNS on the router is just as easy. To do this, uncheck the box “Use these DNS servers” (“Use These DNS Servers”) and remove the entered Yandex addresses, if any servers were registered there before the changes, return those numbers to the fields, then save the settings. Interestingly, Yandex also releases firmware for some models of routers, where all the necessary settings are already present.
We check the work of Yandex.DNS
Perhaps, after making the settings, you want to make sure that the service works and the device is really safe, and your child is under control. Check if the service is functioning very easily in practice. Just go, for example, to the site with a strawberry (if Family mode is selected). Instead of the contents of the portal, you will see a message from Yandex.DNS, telling about adult content and prohibiting the display of pages with similar content. The service is good enough and cases with a resource hit that does not have any hint of evil in the form of a virus or pornography are rare. Settings are simple and performed without the involvement of third-party software. And most importantly, with the help of Yandex.DNS, you can protect your own children’s devices, as well as your children’s devices from virus attacks + protect minors from unnecessary information.