In 2005, Microsoft developers introduced a new format - VHD. It allows you to create virtual hard disk images that can be used to host programs, additional operating systems and other files as images. This makes it possible to open and test old programs and applications on another virtual OS without any additional computer hardware. The content of the virtual machine is determined by these files and is located on the host OS. You can open a VHD file using special virtualization software. Consider a basic set of operations performed with such elements.
Work with the VHD extension.
What is File Extension VHD?
VHD (Virtual Hard Disc) format is an extension that has a hard drive structure: file system, partitions, folders, and so on. As mentioned above, components are launched using visualization programs.
Such elements can be created, attached and detached, compressed, deleted, converted and much more. Next, consider in detail how to use the extension VHD.
How To Open VHD File
There are several options for opening files. Microsoft developers actively support this format and release specialized applications to work with it. The VirtualBox and Microsoft Virtual PC utilities make it possible to run the OS directly from the host. Thus, you can have both Windows and Linux on your computer at the same time.
Method 1. To open the image and make the content available for viewing, we do the following:
- Click on it with the right mouse button.
- In the context menu, click "Connect".
- We are waiting for the disk to be mounted.
Everything, now the file system is available to you. It can be turned off with the “Eject” tab via a right click with the mouse.
Method 2. You can work with the VHD-extension through basic management.
- Right-click on the "Start" menu.
- Select the "Disk Management" section.
- Find the tab "Actions" - "Attach a virtual hard disk."
- Using the "Browse" button, select the location of the file we need.
- Open it.
Disable it using the "Disconnect".
Method 3. Open, using the application VirtualBox.
- We go into the program and create a new virtual machine. In this case, choose the type of operating system used on it.
- The default application prompts you to create a new disk. You can choose a file with the desired system.
- In the advanced settings menu on the panel, you can adjust its operation and configure it as a SATA device.
Method 4. Use 7-Zip. As you know, this is one of the most popular free archivers, allowing you to work with images as well.
- Run the program and look for the file we need.
- Click "Extract".
Method 5. Mount using Daemon Tools. This utility is not as popular as it was before, but is still actively used to open and work not only with the VHD extension, but also with the VDI, VMDK.
- We start the program and look for the component we need in it.
- Click "Mount".
Method 6. Mount in Microsoft Virtual PC. The utility allows you to create virtual machines in which you can open the documents and folders we need. The action algorithm is similar to that described in the work with VirtualBox:
- We go into the program and create a new car. In this case, choose the type of operating system used on it.
- The default application is to suggest creating a new virtual component. You can choose a VHD file with the prototype of the desired system.
Is it possible to delete VHD files
Like any other elements, virtual images can be deleted or detached. This is quite simple:
- Select the drive that we want to detach or delete. Using the right mouse click, open the context menu and click "Disconnect".
- If you do not want to completely delete the VHD image, then simply confirm the action with the “OK” button. For a complete removal, in the opened window, put a tick in the appropriate item.
A detached hard drive retains its functionality and all available data. To resume work, simply reconnect it. If you completely delete it, then all information stored there is erased irretrievably with it.
As we can see, Virtual Hard Disc is a very useful and easy to use thing. Creating additional areas on your computer helps solve many problems. The use of several operating systems allows you to test all kinds of programs, including the study of malicious programs without harming the main OS. If you have any questions, ask them in the comments.