Most representatives of virus software always try to imitate or plausibly impersonate certain system processes, so that an ordinary user could not immediately determine the cause of destabilization of the operating system, and force it to search for these causes and possible perpetrators where there are none. This article focuses on one of the representatives of such simulators called “Pythonw.exe”, which at first glance does not have a significant impact on the performance of the Windows operating system, but in the end may lead to significant losses of OS resources and possible loss of personal data.
Solving problems with Pythonw.exe.
What is this process and what is it for?
So, “Pythonw.exe” in its normal and true state is an interpreter of the programming language “Pythonw”, which anyone can remember from computer science lessons in high school. It is not necessary to go into the details of the structure of his work, since in the topic under consideration it is simply meaningless, therefore it should be noted only the features of his regular work. Firstly, its activation and visibility in the Task Manager only indicates that some software uses the functionality provided by the Python Software Foundation, which in itself does not indicate the threat of virus infection, but the scripts that are run by this process may be infected by external components. Secondly, with system and correct functioning, Pythonw.exe uses average memory resources in the range from 27.136 to 27.648 bytes. If the presented figures in the “Task Manager” are significantly different from the average volumes, in this case the probability of infection and the work of the virus software is quite high.
How to fix
Based on the above features, it is necessary to distinguish two main sequential methods for solving the problem in question:
Step 1. Shut down the process and all related elements:
- open the Task Manager and find the process “Pythonw.exe” in the list;
- select the line with the desired result by clicking on it and click on the “Remove Task” button;
- press the “WIN + R” key combination and execute the “sc delete pythonw.exe” command, this command will temporarily remove the requested service and allow you to complete the treatment procedures for the problem being considered without harming the operating system.
In addition, right-click on the selected line and select the "Open file location" section to check the correctness of the transition.
Step 2. Checking the operating system for viral software:
- download the anti-virus software that causes the most trust, for example, the well-known utility “Dr.Web CureIt!”;
- run the utility and perform a full scan, taking into account the connected external storage media;
- If possible, repeat the scan at OS boot and in safe mode.
In most cases, the above manipulations help to avoid computer crashes and solve the problem in the manifestation of the “Pythonw.exe” process.
If none of the above has helped, then you can always contact thematic anti-virus forums, for example, “//forum.kasperskyclub.ru” or “//forum.drweb.com”. In these forums, you will be presented with a list of certain scripts that will need to be executed with some conditions on the problem computer, after which you will need to attach the logs of the executed script in a response message to determine the true causes and perpetrators of the virus software activity.