Surely at least once in life, every person was haunted by the thought: “I had to do something, but what?”. Someone in order not to forget to do something, in the old-fashioned way, ties knots or draws a cross on the wrist, someone uses diaries, and someone uses the “reminder” functionality on a smartphone or tablet, the benefit of various applications is now in abundance. But not always it is all at hand, especially for those who spend a huge amount of time at the computer. Many office workers have been using “stickers” for more than a dozen years and weigh on their computer monitors, which is not always aesthetically pleasing and practical, so as not to forget to send a report, redo documents or simply keep any important information before your eyes. In an attempt to systematize and facilitate the work of these categories of users, Microsoft, at the beginning of the 21st century, introduced an application / widget into the Windows operating system that simulates “good old” paper stickers or notes. But not all users, especially at the present time, when many constantly have a smartphone in their hands, know that this functionality is available now, with a beautiful and clear design and interface, and all with the same huge benefits. In this article, we’ll talk about how to create notes on the Windows 10 operating system and place them on the desktop, how to delete them later, and what third-party applications exist with similar functionality.
Options for setting notes on the Windows desktop.
In the favorite Windows 7 operating system, creating notes was as simple as possible and consisted of only two actions: open the “Start” button and click on the “Notes” icon, which was located on the shortcut menu. In fairness, it should be noted that in Windows 10, the functionality in question is not complicated. The only exception is that by itself this version of the operating system has become more “European”, and this led to the fact that most of the sections in the Start menu have names in English. Of course, this is exactly what causes users' difficulties, since the list of partitions, even just with embedded software, is huge, and simply enough, without knowing what you are looking for, to get lost in this diversity. So, going to the main issue of the topic, to create a note and place it on the desktop you will need to do the following:
- click the mouse or the "WIN" button to open the "Start";
- click on the first letter to open the alphabetical index;
- in the table with the Russian and English alphabet, select the letter "S";
- in the list that opens, click on the line "Sticky Notes", which translates as "Notes".
Further actions depend on the desire of the user. The Sticky Notes feature is incomparable with a text editor, but it also has a fairly good choice for editing and formatting, namely:
- To change the window size, just drag the mouse over the right or left corner.
- To create a new entry, click on the “+” icon in the upper left corner.
- To change the background color you need to click on the "..." button.
- To delete a record, click on the corresponding icon in the form of a basket in the upper right corner of the window or press the key combination “Ctrl + D”.
- To change the format of the text, use the keyboard shortcut and select a part of the text. Available for use 7 many familiar combinations:
- “Ctrl + B” - bold selected text;
- "Ctrl + I" - italics;
- “Ctrl + U” - underscore;
- "Ctrl + T" - crosses the selected text fragment;
- “CTRL + SHIFT + L” - creates a bulleted list;
- "CTRL + SHIFT +>" - increase the font used by 1 unit;
- "CTRL + SHIFT + <" - decrease the font used by 1 unit.
In fact, for normal operation with this type of recording, nothing else is required, and these 8 combinations are more than enough to make the recording aesthetic.
Third Party Applications
For those who are not satisfied with the above-mentioned capabilities of a regular tool, there are more than a dozen similar applications in the Windows Store. And of the whole variety provided, several of the most interesting and free applications should be highlighted, which, according to some users, will satisfy all, even quite exotic, user requests: “ColorNote”, “Quick Notes”, “Sticky Notes 8”, “Fluent Sticky Notes”, “Sticky Notes - Post Virtual Notes on Your Desktop”, “Pin Note”. An application called “ColorNote” is deservedly distinguished from the list, which has a nice external shell and a fairly clear interface and is able to register using Google service, which allows you to achieve a certain synchronization.
In conclusion, it should be said that the rest of the applications, in fact, are no different from the regular “Sticky Notes”. And even the functionality and the external shell in these and any other similar applications not only have no significant advantages, but in many respects are inferior to the development from Microsoft.