Usually, when building a computer, minimal attention is paid to the case - if only it were to shove all the computer internals. Sometimes, if the choice is large enough, look at the appearance, and buy the one that seemed prettier. And the budget for it is allocated the most modest - of course, it is better to take a more powerful video card or a newer processor. However, this is fundamentally wrong approach. Choosing a good PC case is a very important step. After all, this is not just a box where everything lies. The case performs many functions, it depends not only on the convenience of using a computer, but also its normal operation. Experienced people know that it is necessary to choose a case carefully and you cannot save on its purchase.
Tips for choosing a computer case.
How to choose a good computer case, what to focus on
It is necessary to evaluate the body not only in appearance, it is just one of the criteria, and not the most important one. It is necessary to pay attention to the following points:
- Type - directly affects what you can insert inside.
- Material - depends on it both the protection of internal components and the level of noise emitted by the system unit.
- Cooling is a very important factor.
- Type of fasteners, their convenience.
- Design - not only the appearance but also the convenience of using a computer depends on it.
All these factors must meet the requirements, otherwise it is better to refuse the purchase. After all, if, for example, everything is fine, but in terms of cooling the case is bad, the computer will overheat, freeze and shut down, or even fail. And who will like it, if the design is poorly thought out and to plug in a flash drive, you have to crawl under the table every time and touch free ports there by touch?
Type of shell
Computers are used for different purposes; therefore, different types of enclosures have been developed. There are vertical and horizontal structures, but the latter are used very rarely, and there are only two types - thin and standard. Therefore, we consider the most common, vertical options. They vary in size and form factor.
There are standard sizes for vertical enclosures, and this serves as the basis for the classification:
- Micro-Tower - the smallest, they can put a very limited amount of equipment. The upgrade is very difficult.
- The Mini-Tower is a larger version, but also with a very limited internal space. It takes a little space, but allows you to build a weak system. Suitable for office configuration. The size is 178 x 432 x 432 mm.
- Midi-Tower is the most common version, which can fit a full-size motherboard and any video card. Suitable for home computer, including the game version. The size is 183 x 432 x 490 mm.
- Big-Tower is an even larger case in which you can put a motherboard of any size and many different devices. It has excellent ventilation. The size is 190 x 482 x 820 mm.
- Full-Tower - this type of case is even larger, thanks to which it can accommodate a lot of equipment and coolers for cooling. The size depends on the number of 5-inch compartments, they can be 5 or more.
- File-Server - has a lot of 3.5 and 5.25-inch bays, space for additional power supplies and other equipment. Used for powerful servers.
As you can see, to choose the case, for example, for a gaming computer, you need to focus on the Midi-Tower or larger. If you need a weak system for working with texts or surfing the Internet, then less suitable options. But keep in mind - the smaller the internal space, the worse the air circulation in it, and the less must be the power of the computer. After all, it is impossible to insert additional coolers into it, and the powerful "iron" will be very hot. Yes, and dust in a small space accumulates much faster.
This is another parameter that needs attention. This indicator indicates what size the motherboard can be placed in this case. There are several form factors:
- Mini-ITX - you can use only miniature boards of 170x170 mm.
- Micro-ATX - suitable size of 244x225 mm.
- ATX - boards with dimensions of 305x244 mm.
- EATX - boards 305x330 mm.
- XL-ATX - boards 345x262 mm.
The first two options are suitable only for small boards, on which, respectively, there will be a minimum of slots and connectors. Therefore, such computers will not be possible to upgrade in the future and cases with such a form factor are more suitable for office configurations, especially since they make less noise and are small in size. The ATX format and the following ones are suitable for more powerful configurations, for example, for a home gaming computer. They allow you to use a full-size motherboard and have enough space for installing additional devices and a good cooling system.
Very few people pay attention to this factor, and it’s in vain. Low-quality models are made of very thin metal, and it is very noisy when the computer is running. In addition, the parts are usually poorly fitted, there are many gaps. When choosing a good case for a computer, pay attention to the wall thickness - it should be at least 0.5 mm., And for the best models - 1 mm. They are made of special galvanized metal, and more expensive ones are made of aluminum. Plastic items are allowed in small quantities.
Air circulation should be free, otherwise different components of the computer will begin to overheat and dust will accumulate. Therefore, when choosing which PC case to purchase, pay attention to the following points:
- Sufficient space for free placement of all boards and devices.
- The ability to install coolers on the back and front walls.
Sometimes there is a plastic part on the side wall in front of the processor that looks like a short pipe. Its use is doubtful, since it violates the natural movement of air flow and rather interferes. Therefore, the presence of this detail is not a plus, but rather a minus.
Fastening and ergonomics of the case
A high-quality case should have precisely fitted parts, without any play or gaps, otherwise a lot of dust will be sucked in, and the noise will be increased. Good models do not have any bolts - everything is done on snaps, and special retractable sliders are used to fasten the hard drives. In the case there should be enough compartments for devices, and the cables should reach where they are needed. Otherwise, it may turn out that the length of the cables is not enough to reach the connector, and this will become a problem that will have to be solved with the help of adapters and extension cords.
Appearance, design and frills
Appearance of standard models differs not so big variety. They differ only in color and different decorative elements. But be sure to pay attention to the presence on the front panel of additional USB connectors, connectors for headphones and microphone. This fee can be added independently, but there must be a place for it. And much better when it is already inscribed in the design. Some users pay particular attention to design - a lot of highlights and an unusual shape attract attention. However, in the first place should be functional, and especially sufficient cooling of all components. If the case meets all requirements and looks beautiful, then you can buy it. But to buy because of the appearance of an uncomfortable or low-quality model is definitely not worth it. For example, Chinese models are usually bad in many ways, but many flaws are hidden by a large number of different light bulbs and other tinsel.
We hope these tips will help you choose the case for the computer in 2018 quite competently. Choose, guided by all the requirements given in the article, and then you will not be mistaken. If at least on one basis the body does not fit - see another, and then you will find the best option for yourself.