Often, modern TVs serve as a monitor. Connecting a laptop or personal computer to a TV expands the capabilities of a computer, improves the quality of movies and music. There are several ways to do this, but it is necessary to take into account the characteristics and capabilities of technology. The most universal way is to connect via an HDMI wire, since problems rarely arise with it, and almost all TVs have an HDMI connector. But there can be one problem - there is no sound on the TV, and the audio still comes from the speakers of the laptop or the speakers of the computer, although it should come from the TV. How to properly adjust the sound on the TV? This problem is solved quickly and easily: it is enough to change certain settings on the computer, and for Windows7, 8 and Windows 10 these settings are very similar. Consider the possible reasons for the lack of a sound track and solutions to this problem.
Adjust the sound on the TV when connected via HDMI.
1. Check the volume
If when connecting the computer to the TV, the sound does not come at all, even from the PC speakers, then the reason may be trivial - the sound is simply reduced to a minimum. Check:
- The sound level in the TV itself.
- Volume on a laptop or computer.
- Check the silent button on the remote.
Especially true if before the equipment worked.IMPORTANT. Make sure you connect the HDMI cable. VGA wire does not transmit a beep.
2. Check playback devices
On modern operating systems, such as Windows 7, 8, 10, when you connect a laptop or any other device to the TV, the sound is played automatically on the connected device. The OS itself determines the connected audio playback device. However, sometimes this may not happen, and you need to select the appropriate device on the PC manually. For this:
- We connect the computer with a cable to the TV (and do not turn it off during all actions).
- Find the notification panel, speaker icon and right-click. You need to select "Playback devices".
- In the window that appears, all available playback devices will be listed - TV, laptop speakers, headphones (if present). Pay attention to which device is used. You must select a TV (or any connection that has HDMI in its name) and tick "Use by default". Apply settings.
This usually helps to solve the problem. But there are special cases when there is nothing in the active devices associated with the HDMI connection. Try to click on the free space and tick the "Show hidden and disabled devices." If the sound is still not working, try the following ways to fix the problem.
3. Check the controller
If the TV is still not displayed in playback devices, then the problem may lie in the High Definition Audio controller. To check the activity of the controller, do the following:
- We start the device manager and go to the "System devices". We look, whether the controler is included. If next to it there are any icons, try to turn on the controller by right-clicking.
- Open the properties and check how the device works. If there is no indication that the device is working properly, you can try to turn it off, restart the computer and turn it on again.
- Check the tab "Audio inputs and outputs." A device that does not have audio can be displayed there. All adapters must be active.
- If the methods listed above did not work, try opening “Sound, game and video devices”. There, depending on your video card (AMD or NVIDIA), you can test the operation of adapters.
4. Check drivers
If you have tried all the available devices, but the sound from the TV still does not go, then the problem may lie in the drivers for sound output, which are either installed incorrectly or not installed at all. Perhaps installing drivers for a video card, you manually selected the necessary components. To fix this, do the following:
- Go to the device manager (or open the desired window by clicking on the "Start" button for Windows10).
- We find "Sound, gaming and video devices."
- Select the item "View" and turn on the display of all hidden devices.
- We look at the number of displayed connections. If the device, in the name of which is present HDMI, is available, but disabled, then click on it with the right mouse button and click "Engage". If in the list you see only the sound card of the laptop itself, then we go further.
- Download or update the video card drivers using the official website of the manufacturer of your video card. Before installing the drivers, double-check whether the HDMI sound driver will be installed.
- Reboot the computer.
If there are problems with installing drivers, then there may be problems in the work of existing video card drivers. In this case, you can try to remove all previously installed video card drivers and reinstall them.
5. No solution solved the problem.
If none of the above options helped, it makes sense to try to diagnose the problem. To do this, right-click on the speaker icon and select "Diagnose problems with sound." Perhaps the OS can detect and fix problems. Check to make sure the sound disappears. If it still disappears, try repeating the steps described above.
We hope you have everything set up! If not, write in the comments about your problem, as well as possible solutions that we forgot to mention. Good luck!