Avira Free Antivirus is the latest version of a free and easy anti-virus program. The application allows you to avoid threats and has a very good scanning module, in addition, the program has a nice interface and many configuration options. Avira Free Antivirus is ideal for weaker computers, although many have recently been confronted with the fact that Avira antivirus is not updated.
Description of the program and functions
Avira protects against viruses, worms, trojans, spyware and rootkits. The program controls the security of our computer in real time.
- quick view;
- high efficiency;
- many options;
- low resource consumption;
- SocialShield function.
- outdated interface;
- no email security;
- no own firewall.
The application allows you to generate reports about viruses, keep a log of events and scan programs. In addition, we can create exclusion rules or set priority levels for certain processes.
A new feature from version 2015 - SocialShield. This is a parental control service created for social networking sites. Parents can now follow the activities of their children on sites such as Facebook, Twitter or Google+. At any time they will be informed about the potential risk. Even after the system has ceased to be updated.
Avira integrates with the system firewall and allows you to quickly change settings. In addition, the application offers a game mode that allows you to maximize the use of resources during the game. Unfortunately, Avira does not have a mail scanner and Internet security. These items are available in the Pro version.
Interface Avira Free Antivirus has not changed compared to previous versions. The application is characterized by maximum convenience and simplicity. Fortunately, the program is easy to configure, and advanced users will appreciate advanced options - the default settings will not be suitable for everyone.
Recently, the official support service of the antivirus simply exploded with questions from users who were faced with the problem of the lack of updates of the program and virus databases. The first reason may be that an outdated version of the product is being used. To solve the problem, you need to visit the Avira website and download the latest version of the program.
The next problem may be incorrect installation and configuration of the Internet connection. To solve the problem, you need to check the connection settings, and also make sure that the firewall is configured correctly. What to do in this case and how to manually update Avira yourself - read on.
Removing disturbing file updates
Why is there no auto-update feature? In rare cases, Avira will no longer be able to perform automatic or manual updates. This is caused by the RebootPending.txt file, which remains in the Avira installation directory even after the computer is restarted. As a result, the computer waits for a subsequent restart after a reboot and, therefore, cannot establish a connection and cannot automatically and manually update the antivirus program.
Manual deletion of the RebootPending.txt file afterwards allows the usual automatic and manual update of the Avira product:
- Open the Avira console using the Avira icon on the taskbar.
- Go to "Settings" - "General" - "Security" and disable the "Protect files and registry entries from changing."
- Confirm the change by clicking “Apply” and “OK”.
- Delete the RebootPending.txt file from the following Avira directory:
- Windows 7: C: \ ProgramData \ Avira \ AntiVir Desktop \ CONFIG \ RebootPending.txt
- Windows 8 / 8.1: C: \ ProgramData \ Avira \ Antivirus \ CONFIG \ RebootPending.txt
- Windows 10: C: \ ProgramData \ Avira \ Antivirus \ CONFIG \ RebootPending.txt
If the “ProgramData” folder is not visible, you need to activate the “Show hidden files and folders” option in the Windows Control Panel.
- Return to “Settings” - “General” - “Security” and again enable the option “Protect files and registry entries from being modified”.
- Confirm the change by clicking “Apply” and “OK”.
- Update your antivirus.
Manually update Avira using the Fusebundle Generator
Here's how to update your Avira anti-virus software manually. Keep in mind that this should work for all versions of Avira - Free, Premium or Security Suite. The method has been tested in several versions of Windows, including 7 and 10. The utility introduced a new method for updating the manual back in 2012. If the new method does not help, try the second one.
Manual update using Avira Fusebundle Generator (starting with 2012 products)
What to do to Avira updated? First, find the appropriate Fusebundle Generator for your operating system. Download and install it in a new folder, be sure to remember the location. The purpose of this generator is to allow the download of the latest database signature on your computer, while it is creating the VDF archives locally, in an incremental way. The next time you want to update your Avira products, you only download the latest signatures added to the new VDF archive, and not the full database again.
IMPORTANT! The method will work only for versions after 2012, for older ones the second method is used, described below.
- Go to the developer’s site where you can download the Fusebundle Generator
Fusebundle Generator Download
- Choose the correct version for your operating system. Once you do this, download the generator and save it on your computer.
- By default, this generator is archived in a zip file. Use your favorite software archiver and extract files into one folder. For example, WinRaR or any other archiver utility that supports extracting zip files. After that you will receive the source file and a new folder containing a couple of files.
- Open the contents of the new folder, you will see 3 files, but we are interested in one - fusebundle.exe.
- Run the Avira fexe manual update. As soon as you do this, the executable file will start downloading databases, it will take a couple of minutes depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
- After the upgrade process is complete, a new folder will be created named Install. Here is the file vdf_fusebundle.zip. Finally, perform a manual update. Run the software - go to the Update section and select Manual Update.
- Navigate to the folder where you extracted the Fusebundle Generator, and select the vdf_fusebundle.zip file. Now you need to update the antivirus. If you need to repeat this procedure for other computers, copy only the vdf_fusebundle.zip file and repeat the above steps.
If for any reason the method does not work, use the old method (next).
Update Avira manually without internet connection - download the VDF file.
If the anti-virus has stopped updating, to update it manually, you need to find and download the appropriate IVDF file. You can save the file to your desktop or create a new folder — just make sure you remember where you saved the file.
Now you need to copy the IVDF file (latest update file for software) to a USB drive, external hard drive, or burn the IVDF file to a CD. You will need to copy this file to a PC that does not have access to the Internet.
After that, launch Avira and from the program interface (in the menu) select “Update” and then “Manual update”. Locate the IVDF file (latest definition file), if it is still on a USB drive, external hard drive or CD, go to this location, if it is on a PC without Internet access, select the IVDF file and click "Open" . After this, the antivirus must be updated using the latest versions of the threat databases.
At least one of these methods should work. Obviously, the first of them remains working, and about the second, unfortunately, it is impossible to say with certainty how long it will work. Avira Free Antivirus is a really fast antivirus that effectively outperforms many paid competitors. This application is ideal for people with weaker computers who do not expect a pleasant appearance from the antivirus.