Lock screen - one of the solutions offered by the developers of Windows OS to combat unauthorized access to user data. This interface element appears when the OS boots, when it resumes from sleep or after a certain period of inactivity. The goal of its implementation is to block the device and thereby prevent third parties from receiving personal information, for example, if the user has been away from the computer for some time. An element can be useful when it comes to an office device or in other cases of using the device by several people. On personal computers and laptops, especially those with one user, most often this option is just nothing. We need this element or not, the question is rather an individual one. If you do not want to use this lock feature, you can disable this feature. Deactivating an element will not affect the performance of the system in any way, but comfort will noticeably increase.
Setting the lock screen in Windows.
How does the screen lock on Windows
The element is a splash screen that appears during loading and after a certain period of inactivity (the time is set in the settings). On the “Ten” the implementation of the function is more interesting, the pictures change every time, but they can be repeated, in addition to the beautiful background, various elements are also added (date, time, battery charge, etc. are displayed). Decide which icons you want to display, the user can also at their discretion. Thus, the lack of activity for some time leads to the appearance of the lock screen, after which the user can click the mouse in any area or any key, followed by the appearance of the login screen. Access and selection of accounts, if there are several, will also require the entry of authorization data. For an account that does not require a password, you just need to click the “Enter” button using the mouse, the spacebar or the Enter key.
Ways to disable the lock screen on Windows
If it becomes necessary to block the device, it can be done without waiting for the measured period of inactivity. Quickly access the lock in Windows 10 will help the Win + L hotkeys. In addition, you can lock the device from the Start menu, in the Task Manager (in the Users tab, by selecting RMB, the Disable option from the menu), or by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up the menu, where to choose the “ Block. In the case when there is no one to protect personal data from anyone and the function only slows down the work, annoying by its presence, it can be simply turned off. This can be done in several ways, which we will consider.
The system section "Personalization" allows you to remove the screensaver, set the time (after this period the device will be blocked), as well as change other settings if it is interesting. Let us examine in more detail how to remove the lock screen in Windows 10 through “Personalization”:
- Right-click on an empty area of the desktop and select "Personalization" from the context menu.
- A window opens allowing the user to configure certain screen parameters (themes, colors, background, etc.), including the lock screen, and we need to go to this tab from the list.
- The page has settings that allow you to set the background as a photo or slide, choose pictures or add your own, specify for which software the information should be displayed on the screen, etc.
- It is also possible to activate or deactivate the option to show the background during authorization by moving the toggle switch to one of the positions (on-off).
- At the bottom of the page go to the "Timeout Options for the screen." In the "Screen" section, you can either change the device blocking time by choosing a convenient one, or set it to "Never" for the shutdown values for battery and mains power.
- Next, go to the link below "Saver Settings" and in the opened window, remove the check mark in front of the line "Start from the login screen", apply the amendments. The same will need to be applied in each topic and for other users, if they exist.
Through the "Personalization" features, you can both turn off and re-enable the lock screen in Windows 10 by performing backward manipulations.
Through the local group policy editor
One of the effective solutions, how to disable the lock screen in Windows 10, involves accessing an integrated system service:
- In the Run line of the console (Win + R) we use the gpedit.msc command.
- We follow the branches “Computer Configuration” - “Administrative Templates” - “Control Panel” - “Personalization”.
- Here we are looking for “Prevent display of the lock screen”, double-click to open the setting for this parameter, where we move the mark to “Enabled”.
- We apply the made adjustments, then restart the device.
More at the start of the OS, the lock screen will not disturb, but the authorization screen will remain. If you also want to remove the password and automatically boot the system, log in to “User Accounts” (for example, using the Run console, where you need to set the netplwiz command) and uncheck the box next to “Require user name and password”.
Deleting the lock screen file folder
You can remove this feature in Windows 10 in another way, simply by deleting the system files necessary for the operation of the embedded application. In this case, any consequences of this action, you will not get, except for the absence of blocking, of course. The folder with the contents is located at C: \ Windows \ SystemApps Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy. You can easily find the directory and delete it, but it’s better to do something different - rename the object, for example, by adding one character at the beginning or end of the name, and then you will be able to return the function at any time by removing this symbol from the name. After renaming, the system will not find the files needed to launch the lock screen. To change the name of the system directory, you will need administrator rights, you can also use the special tool Unlocker.
Disable the embedded parameter in the registry editor
It is not recommended to amend the registry without appropriate skills, since even small changes can provoke unpleasant consequences, including disabling the system. If you decide to use this method, then before setting the lock screen so that it does not disturb you with its presence (as well as before making any other corrections), it is better to make the Windows 10 restore point. So, it will be possible to return the system to its original position, then there is a moment before making adjustments in the event of force majeure. Disable the lock screen in Windows 10:
- To open the registry, use the regedit command in the Run line of the console (called by pressing Win + R).
- Follow the path HLEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Personalization. If there is no personalization, you can independently make this subsection in the Windows section by clicking RMB, then selecting the required option in the context menu.
- We press the RMB in the area of the right part of the service and choose from the menu the option “Create” - “DWORD Parameter” (including for 64 OS), assign it the name NoLockScreen.
- Now by double pressing we get the opportunity to change the value for this parameter. It is necessary to set "1".
- Reboot the device. The function will be deactivated.
Using Ultimate Windows Tweaker
It is possible to get rid of the interfering lock screen with third-party tools. The Ultimate Windows Tweaker free utility can help in this, which provides some options for setting system parameters, including allowing you to turn off the screen lock in Windows 7, 8, 10. To solve the problem, perform the following steps:
- Download software, unpack the archive and open the program.
- Go to the section Customization.
- On the Universal UI tab, in the Lock Screen block, select the Disable Lock Screen and click Apply Tweaks. Is done.
Lock via bat file
Windows-integrated command-line utility rundll32.exe is used for various tasks, it provides a quick launch of some commands for DLL files. So, by creating an element with the BAT extension, the contents of which will include the necessary command, you can automate many processes. To automatically block the screen when accessing the file, do the following:
- Create a text file and write% SystemRoot% \ system32 \ rundll32.exe USER32.DLL LockWorkStation in the body of the document.
- Change the file extension to ".bat".
- We confirm the intention to change the element when a warning window appears.
- Double-clicking on the script file will enable the option.
Lock via command line
You can also enable screen lock in Windows 7 or 10 directly from the command line, for which we will run the console as an administrator. Perform the following steps:
- We call the Start menu by pressing the RMB, where we select “Command line (administrator)”, despite the fact that your account has these rights.
- In the console, enter% SystemRoot% \ system32 \ rundll32.exe USER32.DLL LockWorkStation.
- The device is locked.
Now you know a few simple methods to get rid of the Windows lock screen or activate it. It is easy to do, and all changes are reversible and will not harm the system. We remind you that if you act by amending the registry, then you need to be extremely careful, since any awkward movement and even seemingly minor adjustments may entail a number of unpleasant consequences, including causing the OS to become inoperative.