Motley "death screens" and other errors always cause inconvenience and talk about faults of a different nature, but in most cases you can cope with the difficulties encountered on your own without involving service specialists. BSOD errors are encountered by users of any version of Windows and the causes of this unpleasant phenomenon can be very different. Failures that occur under various conditions are accompanied by a message with a code and a description of the problem. The content of the text depends largely on the direction in which to proceed when solving a problem, and determining the cause is an important point for quickly eliminating trouble. One of these failures occurs under the code 0xc00000e9 and may indicate both software problems and hardware malfunctions of the device. An “unexpected I / O error” or 0xc00000e9 error is not uncommon that Windows users can “get to know” when installing, updating the system, or already during its operation. There are several ways to solve the problem; each of them will be effective in different conditions, so the tracking of events that precede a failure will help to find the source of the fault more specifically.
Method of error removal 0xc00000e9 on Windows.
The reasons for the appearance of 0xc00000e9
The BSOD failure, which displays the status 0xc00000e9 with the corresponding notification on the screen, is accompanied by a message about incorrect interaction with the device that was connected to the PC or laptop, and it’s not at all the fact that something was actually connected to the device. The text of the error indicates possible causes of problematic connection of drives (external USB devices and others), when using them or malfunctioning equipment, such as a hard disk or floppy drive, therefore, it is recommended to check the correctness of connections and reboot. The failure information will state this fact — an unexpected I / O error has occurred. The text on the screen doesn’t tell us anything else, but it can be concluded that this is more a hardware problem. It is not excluded that we are dealing with a software failure. There are plenty of reasons why an error with the code 0xc00000e9 appears, the following are the most likely:
- Incorrect disconnection or connection of an external storage device.
- Bad contact of SATA or other connectors, including due to a faulty connector, cable.
- Damage to the hard disk sectors, file system.
- HDD controller malfunction.
- The failure of the hard disk drive.
- Change, damage registry files.
- The conflict that arose during the installation process.
- Incorrect updates.
- The effect of viruses.
An interaction error with the device, detected due to the absence of a hard drive contact with the motherboard, appears when installing Windows 7, 8, 10. In such a situation, you should use the recommendation to verify the connection is correct. In the event of damage to the hard drive or the failure of its controller, the system reports an error 0xc00000e9 each time Windows 7 starts (or another version of the operating system). Failure will appear again until the user takes appropriate measures, so you should not delay the solution of the question. Error 0xc00000e9 when booting Windows 7, resulting from a conflict during the installation of the distribution is typical for laptops. Due to the presence of several “suspects” capable of provoking a problem, in order to more accurately determine the source of the trouble, it is important to consider the conditions for the occurrence of a failure.
How To Fix Error 0xc00000e9
Since connected peripherals are frequent contributors to a system boot failure, they should be disconnected from the computer or laptop and rebooted. If the OS starts up normally, the device can be connected again, but later it should not be connected at the time of Windows start. This is the simplest thing that can be done in the event of a malfunction under such conditions, and if the source of the malfunction is another factor, it can be eliminated by one of the methods discussed below. Most often, the user cannot immediately determine what the cause of the problem is, so one has to try several ways that can solve the problem in one way or another. Consider how you can solve the problem using Windows and third-party tools, as well as through physical intervention.
Programmatic way to solve the problem
The option of eliminating the error having the code 0xc00000e9 will be suitable depending on its source, so if you encounter this failure and its cause is unclear, follow these steps:
- Scanning device for viruses. Even a good antivirus can miss malicious software on a computer, users themselves often sin by helping viruses get into the system, downloading questionable programs or performing a batch installation from unreliable sources. So, the first thing to do when the Windows 7, 8 or 10 system displays the status 0xc00000e9 on the screen is to check the device for viruses with installed antiviruses, as well as third-party utilities.
- Use a different bootable flash drive or disk. Error 0xc00000e9, which occurs when installing Windows 7, is often corrected by recording the distribution package with another program or changing the boot drive. Try to write the image again, then install the system, and if it does not work out, then use a different medium.
- Check and repair registry entries. Manually editing the registry is recommended only if you have special knowledge and skills. If you do not have such experience, it is better to use a special utility for these purposes, which will scan the registry and make the necessary adjustments automatically. At the same time, it will not be superfluous to clear the system of debris by deleting temporary files, cookies, cache, etc. A convenient tool for this kind of work is the Ccleaner utility. Manually perform the procedure much longer.
- Reset BIOS settings. If the problem is in boot bcd, then a return to the initial BIOS settings can help in solving it. To do this, you need to restart the device and, without waiting for the OS to start, go to the utility. In BIOS, the default configuration should be returned.
- Check the status of the hard disk. Error 0xc00000e9 often occurs due to damage to HDD sectors. To scan the hard drive and correct logical errors (physical damage is not subject to software treatment), you need to boot into "Safe Mode" (reboot and press the corresponding button or key combination, for different versions of the BIOS different options can be used, for example F2, F12 or Del). After downloading via Start, go to the "All Programs" section, the "Standard" directory and open the Command Line as administrator, in the service interface we write the command chkdsk / f / r and press the enter key. The system prompts you to schedule a task, with which you must agree and reboot the device, after which the process of checking the hard disk by the system utility will start automatically. If problems are found, they will be corrected, if possible. The procedure for scanning the hard drive can also be carried out using specialized third-party software.
- Check the integrity of system data. If the OS boots without errors, in order to eliminate the possibility of problems with system files, it is worthwhile to scan using the built-in System File Checker utility. The tool allows you to check the system data for damage and, if possible, restore them. To do this, run the command prompt as an administrator, for example, via the Run console (Win + R). Having prescribed the cmd command (Enter is not pressed, but instead we hold down the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys), open the command line window, where we type sfc / scannow and press Enter. Scanning is performed automatically.
- System Restore. One of the effective ways to get rid of error 0xc00000e9 is to perform OS recovery. To do this, connect the boot drive with Windows 10 (or another suitable version of the operating system). In the event that a boot from it does not occur, you should change the priority of the start (in the Boot, Boot Options, Boot Order, etc., depending on the BIOS version of the firmware). In the boot options, you need to select the desired option (disk or flash drive), save the changes and reboot. Booting from the drive, start the system recovery.
Access to the system recovery capabilities of Windows 10 is easier than that of the Seven, although the menu at startup from the boot drive is not very different at first. In recovery mode, here you need to select the section "Troubleshooting", moving to which we will get a whole arsenal of tools for resuscitation of Windows. You can select the command line, recovery at boot and other options, you can also go back to the previous saved point and roll back the operating system at the time when everything worked without failures. If the OS boots, you can send the OS to the “past” using the Windows service. In the case of the Ten, it is also recommended to install the latest system updates.
- Removing software from autoload. If we are talking about a software conflict, you should remove suspects in this program from autoloading. To perform the procedure, you need to boot into safe mode, and then via the Run console, use the msconfig command to open the System Configuration window, where in the Startup tab you can uncheck unwanted software.
- Uninstall programs. Perhaps, it will be not enough to remove from autoload and it will be necessary to remove applications causing a conflict. This can be done using the standard Windows service (Control Panel - Programs and Features) or third-party tools.
- Remove updates. When other methods are not effective, and you associate the problem with recently installed updates, it makes sense to roll them back.
- Clean install windows. In the case when none of the methods have resolved the issue and it’s definitely not in the hardware, you will have to take extreme measures and reinstall Windows. This option solves software failures that are not related to malfunctions at the hardware level, but if it didn’t bring any results, then the reason is more hardware. If you do not have the opportunity to do the work yourself, it is better to contact the service.
Error code 0xc00000e9 regardless of which OS is on the device, version 7 or 10, often occurs for hardware reasons. Consider how to fix a crash in this case.
- First you need to look under the cover of your device. If everything is simple with the computer, we unscrew the side panel and get access to the “inner world” of the system unit, then we will have to tinker with the laptop in this regard (you will need to disconnect the laptop from power, remove the battery, unscrew and sort the screws to facilitate assembly, etc. .). Before taking disassembly steps, you should familiarize yourself with the manual for the model of your device. After the “insides” of the device become available to us, we begin to fix the error code 0xc00000e9.
- Often the whole thing in bad contact with the motherboard. It has ports for connecting elements, through one of them the board is connected to the HDD. The connector could be clogged, damaged, or completely out of order. Sometimes fixing error 0xc00000e9 is to connect to another free SATA port.
- Another reason is a problem in the SATA cable. Contacts can be cleaned, but in most cases it is necessary to change the element, since over time the SATA cable simply becomes unusable.
- In case of bad contact of the HDD controller board with the contacts of the HDA, you need to remove the controller and clean the contact areas on the element from dirt and oxides.
In most cases, the above methods help to eliminate the problem, but if none of them was effective, it is likely that the hard drive has severe physical damage that cannot be fixed and the complete failure of the device is now only a matter of time. Therefore, as soon as possible, you should copy important data from the old HDD to a working drive.