With system errors sooner or later all users of the Windows operating system face. Some failures occur when the OS starts, others during operation, when launching applications or other conditions, and the reasons for this may be different. However, not all errors are critical, and in most cases the problem can be solved independently, without the help of specialists. One of the problems when booting the system is error 0xc0000185, it refers to BSOD (blue screen of death) or Stop errors. Although a crash interferes with the Windows boot process, it can usually be fixed by simple methods.
Method for fixing error 0xc0000185 in Windows.
Causes of error
It is not always possible to immediately understand what triggered the failure, but the code can determine approximately what could be the source of the problem, besides, the message often indicates the probable cause of the malfunction, and this significantly narrows the “suspects” circle. So, the error 0xc0000185 in Windows 10 or other versions arises due to the lack of possibility for the system to obtain information from the hard disk required for launching. This may be due to incorrect system settings, irregular registry entries, corrupted bootloader data, or incorrectly connected hardware. Correction of the error having the code 0xc0000185, directly depends on the elimination of the provoking factor. If a normal reboot does not help get rid of the failure or is only a temporary solution, then you need to take more drastic measures to restore the normal functioning of the device.
Hardware problem solving
Since this failure occurs due to the lack of communication with the hard drive, it is possible that the problem is hardware and the device does not see the installed equipment, as the latter is incorrectly connected. Of course, it is impossible to confuse the sockets on the motherboard, but the malfunction may be, for example, in a damaged cable, bad contact with the motherboard, etc. Thus, to eliminate the error 0xc0000185, it is necessary to inspect the equipment, check the integrity of the physical elements of the hard disk connection and the quality of the connection, for which we perform the following actions:
- Remove the side cover from the computer system unit.
- We find a hard disk and evaluate the quality of connecting loops, both from the device itself and in places of contact with the motherboard. You can completely disconnect the equipment, then connect it again.
If we are talking about a laptop, the process of disassembly is not as simple as in the case of a stationary PC. Despite the fact that almost all the same equipment is used, the “stuffing” is more densely equipped in a compact device case. In this case, you can disassemble and laptop, but here you should act very carefully, so as not to damage the elements. Perform the following steps:
- First of all, turn off the power and remove the battery. To remove the battery, as a rule, you need to pull its clips in different directions at the same time and pull the battery towards you.
- All unscrew the screws from the case (they can be under the battery) lay out on the prepared surface to facilitate the assembly and not lose anything in the process. You can take a picture of the location of the screws.
- When everything is unscrewed, carefully with a flat screwdriver, in order not to damage the plastic and the retainers inside, detach the bottom cover of the case. The main thing is not to apply excessive force when pressing on the screwdriver, the latches themselves release the cover with proper pressure.
- After opening, we will have a hard drive, motherboard and other structural elements. Winchester is usually fastened with screws to the case and the board, and also connected to the motherboard via a cable. Inspect the quality of the mount, if necessary, remove and reconnect the hard drive.
To disassemble in the case when the laptop under warranty does not follow, and if you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to entrust the diagnosis to a specialist. If the cable is damaged, the element will need to be replaced.
Variants of solving the problem by software
Consider what to do when an error 0xc0000185 appears in Windows 7, 8, or 10, if the problem is not related to hardware reasons. You can fix the crash programmatically. First of all, we need a boot disk or flash drive with the system of the appropriate version. We set the boot priority from removable media and proceed to the procedure for fixing the failure with the code 0xc0000185.
Automatic System Restore
The Windows feature allows you to scan your system for errors and automatically fix problems encountered during the process. Perform the following steps:
- Insert the media with Windows 8 or another version that is installed on your computer.
- When you run the OS installation program, select the language settings and click "Next."
- Click “Repair your computer” in the next window.
- Choose from the list of "Troubleshooting" - "Advanced options" - "Automatic recovery."
- We are waiting for Windows to perform the procedure.
If the system failed to fix the boot problems, go to the next method.
Checking the hard disk system utility CHKDSK
Consider how to fix error 0xc0000185 on a laptop or PC by diagnosing and repairing the hard disk using the Check Disk built-in system tool:
- Run the command line in the recovery environment (go to the "Troubleshooting" - "Advanced options").
- At the command prompt, enter the command chkdsk C: / f / r / x (instead of “C”, you must specify the corresponding volume on which Windows is located, if the system is installed on another disk).
- Press the Enter key.
- The parameters have the following values: / f - scanning for errors and their automatic correction, / r - searching for damaged sectors, restoring their contents, / x - disabling the volume before checking.
- The process will take some time, after its completion the service will provide a report on the work performed on the screen.
- Restart the computer and check if the error has disappeared.
Recovery boot files
Errors when starting Windows, including a failure with code 0xc0000185, can be triggered by damage or lack of files needed to boot the system. For example, Boot commands are used to restore configuration data (BCD). Perform the following:
- Open the command prompt in the recovery environment (see above).
- In the command line you need to specify several commands in turn, after each of which press Enter:
- bootrec.exe / scanos (scan disks and software for compatibility with the current version of the OS).
- bootrec.exe / fixmbr (MBR system partition compatibility assessment).
- bootrec.exe / fixboot (write the boot sector to the system partition instead of the damaged one).
- bootrec.exe / rebuildbcd (complete rebuilding of configuration data storage).
At the end of the procedure, we check whether the error 0xc0000185 appears.
If the methods described above did not solve the problem and the malfunction is still in place, you will have to take extreme measures, which implies a complete reinstallation of the system. In the case when the process is accompanied by various difficulties or stops, you will need to purchase a new hard disk.