Introduction Viruses, they are everywhere!
So, you decided to end the war and remove the SMS virus, MMS virus from Android or any other phone. Why is this kind of "weapon" so popular among hackers? The answer is simple: it's their job. You may find this ridiculous, because it is in fact pure theft. Of course, it is, because the situation is similar to ordinary pocket thieves who steal your money, bags, wallets and other valuable savings. Only for these scammers nothing but a computer is needed: they write malicious code, send it to thousands of people and get paid. However, they may not even leave the house.
Viruses can spread not only via the Internet, but also via SMS
We will not go deep into this problem and move on, in fact, to the topic of our discussion today. First you need to know what viruses are, then to choose the right methods of dealing with such a creature as the SMS virus. Go!
What are SMS and MMS viruses?
- The most popular SMS virus is a message supposedly on an ad from Avito (most often there are people who have products on the bulletin board). This message contains information on the exchange with the link. Naturally, this link is by no means impossible. So you download a Trojan program that will harm your phone.
- Trojan virus - Nickspy software (Trojan-Spy.AndroidOS.Nickspy), which records your telephone conversations, stores them in a folder on your device, then, when connected to the Internet, sends them directly to hackers, to a specific server . Such malicious code is capable of much more: reading SMS and MMS messages, receiving calls to record what is happening around the smartphone, geolocation data (where you are) and so on. As you can see, such code is very dangerous. Unknown for what purpose such information is collected by hackers.
- Another program is the brainchild of Russian programmers - Antammi, which is also a Trojan virus. It is presented in the form of a regular application that allows the user to download ringtones to a smartphone. While you are not suspecting anything, update your library of ringtones for the call, Antammi uploads all kinds of information from your device to the attackers' servers: photos, documents, contacts, messages, and so on.
- Probably everyone received a message stating that a certain subscriber sent you an MMS gift or letter. Naturally, when clicking on a link, you download a program on your phone that accesses some functions in the phone. Such an application can easily send several messages to special paid numbers, and then you will have to pay for them. Also very popular SMS virus.
- Another type of Trojan adventure is an application that lowers the battery level of a smartphone. How does this happen? Often, such a virus is hidden under the completely opposite software, which promises to increase the battery life of the phone. Naturally, the application does not provide any such services. It, on the contrary, puts the battery to the owner by sending an SMS to premium numbers. That is, you unwittingly are subscribers of different services that take your money.
- Perhaps the most terrible and dangerous small malicious code or Trojan program is an application for confirming banking operations. How many problems can be obtained due to the work of such a code - you cannot count fingers. How does this system work? Such programs are far from working alone, as they need an assistant program to confirm bank transactions. It is not scary if there is not a lot of money on the card, but if you have a sufficiently large amount of funds, then you need to be on guard.
As you can see, all these viruses target your money. Why is this so? The thing is, some people can't make money in an honest way and try to steal it. Although it is difficult to condemn them in this, since very few people live on honest earnings in the modern world.
How to remove a virus from the phone?
If you have a spyware program on your Android phone, then you need to get rid of it immediately! How to do it?
- Initially, it is better to pull the SIM card out of the device and turn off wi-fi so that the phone does not have the opportunity to go to the global network (Internet). So you will avoid additional costs.
- If you just received a message, as, for example, in the first paragraph of the previous discussion about the types of viruses, it is enough not to follow the link and delete the message.
- Install antivirus software on your phone and scan your system for malicious files and codes. If the application detects them and offers to remove them, then you immediately do it.
- If you have a program installed, and you know which one of them is malicious, then delete it through the appropriate menu in the settings. If not, look at the list of the strangest and most suspicious.
- You can try to scan the device using an antivirus on the computer. Just do not open the phone drive or flash drive, because you risk getting a virus to your computer.
- Try resetting your phone to factory settings. But remember that the stored information in the memory of the smartphone can be deleted. Then you should take care of backing up data. In the same way, you can make a hard reset through the recovery menu or a full flashing of the device. From the flash card information will not be deleted.
- If your virus is in the form of a separate file, then try to remove it with regular means. Or you can resort to using a computer where you can also do it. Just do not forget that this way you can infect and desktop device or laptop.
In any case, after applying any of these methods, be sure to scan your phone with an antivirus program again. Reinsuring is never superfluous, but you will be sure that there are no more traces of malicious code.
How to prevent yourself from malware?
- Never open links that send suspicious messages to your phone. Even if it comes from your contacts - in any case, do not follow the links. If you really really want to do this, then ask your contact what is in the sent letter. Unless, of course, your friend did not become an attacker. Remember that this is a SMS virus.
- Never install applications from third-party resources. Use only official app stores: AppStore, Google Play, Market Place. This will significantly reduce the risk of getting viruses on your Android device.
- Even when downloading from official stores, carefully read what you are downloading. Do not load programs from unknown and suspicious developers. Especially you can not look at the reviews, as they are quite easy to buy at special sites. If this is an analogue of a paid application, then it is better not to save and acquire a normal program than to bite your elbows later.
- Install software updates of your device in a timely manner. In them, the development team often closes the “holes”, thereby increasing the protection of the gadget at the program level.
- Use antivirus. Sometimes check for malicious codes.
It looks like a SMS virus
Today we tried to solve a problem like the SMS virus on the Android phone. We hope that you were able to overcome it in this difficult fight between man and machine. Be sure to take note of recommendations that will help you warn yourself against such problems in the future. Do not detract from the work of anti-virus programs on the phone, because they often greatly help users. We share our stories in the comments, tell us what virus you caught, how you overcame it. All the best to you, dear readers!