Each user of the Android device has its own chosen method of data protection. Some people choose to set a password or PIN, others - a graphic key, and others - a fingerprint scanner. All these tools are standard in the functionality of the Android OS, they provide relatively good protection, but they also have disadvantages. For example, digits or a pattern of a graphic key entered by the user, in the process of identification, may be peeped by third parties. In addition, the user loses time on data entry, but in reality, the smartphone lock is not always required. The Corporation of Good has approached the protection of user data in a new way and, starting with the fifth version of Android, a new option is available - Smart Lock, which means “smart lock”. Since in our time it is typical to get wiser with virtually any instrument and function, it is not surprising that device locking also acquired the ability to understand the user.
Disable Google Smart Lock.
What is Smart Lock
Smart Lock is an innovative approach to Google protection that replaces common tools like a password, a pattern, or a fingerprint scan. The option provides unhindered access to the smartphone, leaving it unlocked if the owner is nearby and blocks, provided it is unavailable or if certain environmental factors are present. The method allows you to enhance the protection of Android and Chromebook and make user interaction with the device more comfortable.
Smart Lock is customizable, and unlock options can be set at your discretion. Of course, any lock can be opened and the application of a new protection technique is not a guarantee of absolute data security, since in the safe zone the theft of the device itself is possible, which will be unlocked.
For this reason, not all device owners consider using the tool necessary. Next, consider the principle of operation, the ability to configure smart phone lock, as well as how to deactivate the option.
How Smart Lock Works
Thanks to this function, the smartphone receives signals from outside, evaluating the safety of conditions and, based on the nature of the information received, determines whether to block the device or not. Orientation allows the proximity of the user, his voice, location, or trusted devices nearby. So, for the owner of the smartphone will be able to remain available under certain conditions, which eliminates the need to enter data to confirm the identification. The ability to customize a number of parameters by the user provides unlocking in precisely those cases that have been selected:
- Specify location (one or more). Being in a certain place specified by the settings, the device will not request identification. At the same time, operation implies activated GPS to determine the location;
- Trusted devices. When choosing trusted Android devices, in their presence, the smartphone will determine the secure environment and remain unlocked;
- Physical user contact with the device. While the smartphone is with you, it will not be blocked;
- Recognition of the face and voice of the owner.
So, with Google Smart Lock you do not need to regularly unlock the smartphone manually, the option will do everything automatically, you only need to adjust it to your preferences. Another possibility is password storage and synchronization on all devices with Chrome.
Smart Lock Setup
Consider step-by-step activation of the tool and how to set up Google Smart Lock for convenient operation:
- How to enable Smart Lock.
- To activate, go to Settings - Security - Lock screen (where the tool is located, directly depends on the device manufacturer and Android version);
- Select one of the blocking methods (this action is mandatory for activating the function);
- In the Advanced section of the Security section, go to the Trust Agents item and enable Smart Lock by moving the slider to the appropriate position;
- To go to the option setting, click on the Smart Lock field and set the required values in a new window.
- How to set up smart lock. The settings window contains the parameters that can be set:
- Physical contact Accelerometer, included in the functionality of modern devices on Android, remembers the nature of the movements of the owner of the device. Thus, access to the smartphone remains when it is held in hand, stored in a pocket or bag, but when the characteristics of the movement change, the smartphone is blocked;
- Safe places. This parameter assumes that the user selects several addresses that the smartphone will then consider safe. Thanks to geolocation, the device will determine the specified places and will be in the unlocked state;
- Reliable devices. As a rule, a modern user has several devices and gadgets that can connect to a smartphone via Bluetooth or NFC. They can be added to the list of reliable devices, then when interacting with them, the phone screen will be unlocked. Especially convenient option to travel, because the driver does not have to be distracted by unlocking. But there is also a reverse side of the medal - if the two devices are stolen, information from the smartphone will be immediately available to third parties, and if you consider that the Bluetooth signal is designed for distances up to 100 meters, then the chances of attackers are even higher;
- Face Recognition. The Smart Lock feature also involves unlocking the device when it recognizes the face of its owner. Face control is performed using the front camera and if the scanned image of the person who has the smartphone, coincided with the existing sample - this will be the identification of the owner and manual unlocking is not required;
- Voice recognition By analogy with the previous method, the owner is determined by his voice. So, having written a sample phrase “Ok, Google” in the settings, the user will be able to unlock the smartphone at any time with the same adage, without entering identification data.
- How to view passwords smart lock. Thanks to the system of saving data for authorization, you can not drive in the code every time and thus visit the necessary resources many times faster. If you need to view the saved logins and passwords in Google Chrome on Android, entered earlier, then go to them through the settings:
- At the top right of the address bar, press the button in the form of three dots;
- Select "Settings" - "Smart Lock or Save";
- Click on the item “View saved data and manage it on the page password.google.com”.
How to disable
Not all users have a taste for the smart lock offered in Android, so some particularly vigilant device owners are interested in how to disable Google Smart Lock. The shutdown procedure is not difficult, you can do it with a few taps.
Automatic filling of passwords is very convenient, because it frees the user from numerous data entries, but at the same time, therein lies the danger. If the smartphone is in the hands of intruders, they will also have access to many data of the device owner. Consider how to disable Google Smart Lock for passwords on Android:
- Go to Google Settings;
- Go to the tab "Smart Lock for passwords";
- We translate the switch opposite the option "Automatic entry" in the inactive position;
- If you wish, you can also disable automatic filling for a specific software, for which you should click "Add application".
Some devices involve changing the parameters through the system settings, it depends on the model of the device and the version of Android.
If you do not consider it necessary to use the Smart Lock option for blocking, you can disable it as follows:
- Go to the system settings of the smartphone;
- Go to the section "Lock screen and protection" - "Security lock options";
- Select "Smart Lock", after which you will need to enter a password or unlock key;
- Alternately, we go into each item of the function and deactivate them;
- Open "Settings" - "Applications", look for "Smart Lock", here you need to clean the cache and delete the data.
The Google Smart Lock tool is multifunctional and convenient, but it is more focused on comfort of use than on security, since there are a lot of options for stealing information from a device. If you decide to use the option, you should be more careful with the inclusion of permissions so that attackers have less opportunity to get access to smartphone data.