“Apply update from ADB” is available in Recovery mode, including stock, CWM and TWRP recovery. First of all, you need to make sure that the smartphone can boot in this mode. The function is used in many situations, such as:
- Android cannot access the system lancher, but can enter recovery mode.
- The phone starts up with unknown system problems.
- Android is locked and does not allow you to perform further operations with other tools / applications using a PC.
- OS is not available in a specific country or region.
- The Android version has already been released, but is not yet available in a particular country or region.
- Do not want to force the ROM, which can lead to data loss.
- Just used as one of the ways to flash ROM (download another version of the OS).
Use Apply update from ADB to update your smartphone.
What does Apply update from ADB mean
Android Debug Bridge is a powerful command-line tool that allows users to share data with a gadget, such as an Android phone. The command activates various actions of the device, such as installing applications or debugging them. This is a client-server program that includes three components:
- The client that sends commands. The client runs on a PC. You can call the client from the command line terminal by running the ADB command.
- The application that runs the commands on the device. It runs as a background process on each gadget.
- The server that manages the communication between the client and the gadget. The server runs as a background process on the PC.
To use the Apply update from ADB option, you must first download the Android Debug Bridge as a program on your computer.
What is ADB Sideload
Apply update from ADB, or “Sideload” is a technical term similar to the “upload / download” command. However, it usually refers to the process of transferring data between a mobile phone and a computer. As mentioned above, this is a program, and you will need to “download it” from a PC to an Android phone to complete the update process. Compared to other methods of this approach, Sideload has several advantages:
- No charge for wireless data transfer.
- Content can be optimized for each mobile device.
- There are no geographical restrictions and network coverage.
- Content is not transferred to the network and can be stored on a mobile device.
Instructions for installing updates via ADB
Before moving on:
- Make sure your Android device is more than 60% charged.
- Make sure you enable USB debugging on your Android.
- Install device drivers on your PC and make sure that your device can be detected.
- Download the required update.zip file from trusted sites, such as smartphone manufacturers portals, to your computer.
- Download the Android SDK to your computer.
Next, download the Platform-Tools to your computer and unzip zip.file. Follow our instructions to avoid any problems. There are quite a few files in the folder. You will only use these four elements:
Connect Android to your computer using a USB cable, turn on USB debugging on Android and make sure your phone is detected by the computer. In the unpacked folder, hold down the "Shift" key, and then right-click. Now select "Open Command Prompt." A command prompt window will open. Enter the “adb devices” command to check if the component is installed and compatible with the PC. If you get a serial number followed by a “device”, it means that the server is working properly. Move the update.zip file previously downloaded to the Platform-tools folder.
Now you need to load your Android into recovery mode. To do this, turn off the gadget, and then turn it on with the volume up or down key held down. Use the volume keys to select the “Apply update from ADB” option and confirm the selection with the “Power” button. On the computer, in the command window, enter “adb sideload firmware file name”, then zip.file will be sent to your Android.
For example: adb sideload sample.zip
Now your Android will open and check update.zip. Then zip.file will be downloaded on your Android. The process will take quite a lot of time, so do not turn off the gadget and do not turn off the computer, otherwise you risk getting a “brick”. When the process is complete, you will see something like “Install from ADB complete”. Done!