Computer users are often faced with all sorts of system failures and other malfunctions, as a result of which the device does not work correctly. One of the non-standard problems - an unsolicited reboot, or rather the problem that is relevant for Windows 10, 8, 7, is that the computer restarts instead of shutting down. The system may behave this way for various reasons. The problem is both software and hardware in nature, in its solution various methods are used depending on the factor that provoked such a failure. Often the source of a malfunction is a system error, drivers or viruses, but it is possible that the computer restarts instead of shutting down for some other reason. Consider what may be the cause of a problem in the form of a forced reboot of the device and how to get rid of the problem. All actions to address the issue will be aimed at eliminating the provoking factor.
Solving problems with turning off the computer.
If attempts to shut down the computer using the Start button are unsuccessful and it is restarted instead, you should find out what led to this process. The reasons for this behavior of the system can be different:
- System failure;
- Registry error;
- Video adapter driver;
- Driver of any device;
- Virus software;
- Problems with the network card;
- Connected external devices;
- Lack of power.
Since it is not known exactly which of the factors contributed to the fact that when you turn off the computer on Windows 10 or another version it reboots, you will have to look for the cause by using different methods, which in turn can solve the problem.
In order to narrow down the range of probable reasons a little, you need to try to turn off the computer from the power button, in the absence of a normal reaction of the device to this action, the hardware problem is most likely. To detect a system failure, you must boot the device in safe mode and turn it off. Perhaps it’s a matter of the system’s build curve or updates, which should be especially suspected when installing an OS or components the day before. If the computer shuts down in safe mode, you can make the necessary changes to the registry and change the power configurations.
Here it is important to associate the latest events with the appearance of a problem, since even recently installed programs that are not related to malicious software, drivers, or connected devices can become sources of malfunction. So, you can try to remove the applications after the installation of which the problem began to appear, these actions often help Windows 7 users when the computer restarts instead of shutting down. External equipment, a network card (if it is removable), a modem, and other peripherals must be temporarily disconnected in order to confirm or deny the fact of the influence of these devices. Include them will need one at a time.
Disable automatic restart
The problem of an uninvited restart may occur during system failures. To check if this is the case, perform the following actions:
- Right-click on the My Computer (This Computer) shortcut, select Properties from the context menu;
- It can also be accessed via the Control Panel;
- Select "Advanced system settings";
- On the "Advanced" tab of the system properties in the "Download and Restore" section, click the "Parameters" button;
- In the System Failure block, uncheck the option to perform an automatic restart;
- Confirm the action with the “OK” button, after which we restart the computer and check whether the situation has been corrected.
Power configuration change
The problem may also be in the wrong registry entries, namely the power configuration section. To remedy the situation, do this:
- Go to the registry editor (via Start or using the Win + R keys, open the "Run" window, where in the line type the command "regedit", confirm the action);
- In the editor, open the “HKEY_CURENT_USER” branch and go this way Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurentVersion - Explorer;
- We are looking for the CleanShutdown parameter and change its value from “0” to “1”, which implies that the system waits for the crash program to complete instead of automatically restarting as a result of problems;
- Now open the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” branch and follow here. Software - Microsoft - Windows NT - CurentVersion - WinLogon;
- Here we are looking for the PowerdownAfterShutdown parameter, which is responsible for turning off the power of the device after the shutdown procedure, it should be set to “1”, with “0” the computer will not turn off when it is finished, you have to do it from the button;
- We reboot after making changes to the registry so that the changes take effect and check if the problem is fixed.
Disable quick start
In Windows 10, the quick boot option is set by default, so if the hardware is incompatible with it, you may experience the problem in question. To disable the function, perform the following steps:
- Go to the Control Panel, open the Power Supply section;
- Here we select "Actions of the power buttons";
- Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" (administrative rights will be required);
- In the “Shutdown Settings” block that appears, uncheck the “Enable Quick Start” option;
- Save the changes and reboot for them to take effect, then check to see if the problem has disappeared.
Failure may be caused by missing network card drivers and video adapter. Find suitable fresh wood can be on the official website of the manufacturer of the equipment. In order to properly perform the installation, you must first completely remove the old driver and the device itself in the Task Manager, then you can check if the computer is shutting down, then manually install the appropriate original driver and evaluate the result.
Malicious software, penetrating into different parts of the system, despite the presence of an antivirus, and affecting the operation of many devices, also cannot be excluded from the list of potential culprits of the failure. By and large, most suspicious phenomena actually provoke viruses, and restarting when the computer is turned off is no exception. Clean the system with special tools, such as CCleaner, and remove viruses from the system. The third-party treatment utility Dr.Web.Curelt, which can be downloaded for free, does an excellent conflict with the main antivirus.
Reset BIOS Settings
The procedure for resetting the BIOS firmware in some cases can also help in solving this problem. A reset is performed as follows:
- To load the BIOS, we hold and hold the “Del” or “F2” keys;
- Select the parameters reset section (“Load optimal default”), press the enter key and “OK”, save the settings.
Sometimes you need to change the BIOS firmware, but you can do it yourself only if you have special skills. Incorrect actions will cause the computer to malfunction.TIP. If the above attempts fail, you can replace the power supply. Well, as an option, a temporary measure can be applied, involving the creation of a shortcut for shutdown.exe -s -t 00. It is checked whether this is necessary by sending a command with the appropriate content in the "Run" line.
We have brought several effective solutions to the problem that help users in most cases, so do not rush to carry the device for repair, it is possible that the issue is solved programmatically.