The performance and usability of the system depend on the state of the hard disk. “Cluttered” media reduces performance, slows down the system and is more prone to errors and malfunctions. Adequate disk management and the use of custom partitions improve its performance, increase comfort and have a positive effect on data and hardware security. There are many tools and programs for working with a hard disk. Some of them differ only in the graphic interface and price.
The choice of programs for working with hard disk partitions.
GParted is an advanced program for working with hard disk partitions, not a trumpet operating system. After downloading, the program is offered as an ISO disk image, which should be burned onto a CD / DVD. After recording, restart your computer and choose to run from the CD / DVD. The program allows you to create, delete and resize an existing partition. The big advantage of the program is the ability to change the size of the partition on which the system is installed. The program supports most known file types, including fat16, fat32, ntfs, ext2, ext3 and ext4. Before any operations on partitions, it is recommended to pre-defragment them and back up the most important files. Resizing a partition can take from several minutes to several hours.
How to use the program:
- Back up your important files!
- Download the GParted program and burn it to disk.
- Insert the disk into the drive and restart the computer.
- When the splash screen with the image of the motherboard manufacturer appears, press the F8 key (sometimes it can be the F9, F10, F11, F12 key, depending on the manufacturer) and select the CD / DVD boot.
- After downloading, select GParted Live from the list.
- Click “Don't touch keymap”.
- Select a language (Russian - 24).
- “Which mode do you prefer?” - 0 and confirm with ENTER.
- The search for all available hard disks and partitions that have already been created on them begins. This may take a few minutes.
Next, to partition the disk, do the following:
- If you need to repartition the disk, first delete all previously created partitions. To do this, delete them one by one (“Delete” cart icon). If you do not have any sections yet, skip this step.
- In the list with sections, click on the place with unallocated space. Then click on the white sheet icon (“New”).
- In the window that opens, you need to set the parameters for the new partition: size, partition type (primary, extended or logical) and its file system, partition name. Then confirm adding a section with the “Add” button.
- After creating the partition, confirm the actions by selecting the green checkmark icon. The program will start creating partitions. This may take a few minutes.
- The next step is to close the main window and double click on the “Exit” icon.
- Reboot the computer.
After the reboot, new partitions will be ready for use.
EASEUS Partition Master
One of the most convenient programs for working with disks - EaseUS Partition Master - supports RAID devices. The application is equipped with a Wipe module, thanks to which the user can permanently erase files so that their restoration is impossible (especially useful before selling a hard disk). Each operation requires additional confirmation and becomes the first in the queue, so the risk of error is minimal. Let's see how to use this program to organize a disk that contains too many or too few partitions:
- Download the program and run the installation.
- After the application is installed, start partition management to switch to management.
- Select the disk you want to format, right-click it and select the option “Delete data”.
- Set the number of repetitions for disc cleaning to 1, and click OK.
- The task will be added to the list of pending operations in the window on the left.
- Next, select the option "Create section".
- Then you need to configure a new section, select its size, enter a name and select a letter. After entering all the data, click "OK".
You can create multiple partitions on a disk, but remember that if you create a partition on a USB drive, Windows can only read the primary partition.
- To complete all the tasks in the Pending Operations list, simply click Apply Changes.
How to create a new section:
- Select a system partition.
- The Operations panel displays the available functions.
- If you are using a hard disk, first defragmenting the partition is recommended. Select “Defragment”, then click “OK”.
- After defragmenting, select Resize / Move Partition.
In the next window with the pointer, drag the borders to the left - this will reduce the volume of the system disk.
- If you are performing SSD markup operations, select the "Optimize SSD" checkbox.
- Click “OK” to confirm the operation.
- In the "Apply Changes" window, click "Yes." A message will appear asking you to restart the computer. Click "Yes." The disk will be divided and the computer will reboot.
- Run EaseUS again. Click on the free space and in the "Actions" panel select "Create Partitions".
- If it is SSD, then check the box "Optimize SSD". Click "OK". Unallocated space will be formatted as a new disk.
- In the EASEUS Partition Master, select a partition on drive C. In the Actions panel, select Merge Partitions.
- Select the second section, it should be the next section. From the list, select the destination disk. Files from the second section will be placed in a separate folder. Click OK, then Yes. Sections will be merged.
The program also has a diagnostic module that allows you to search for damaged sectors and manage the structure of the hard drive. An important function is the preliminary separation before the approval of changes, thanks to which the user has full control over the planned actions. The rest of the programs in the review work on the same principles as the ones described above.
Partition Wizard Home Edition
One of the best programs for working with hard disks, supporting hard drives with a capacity of more than 2 TB. Each partition can be archived as a backup, which allows you to recover data after a possible failure. The user can also change the file system from FAT to NTFS, and after each resizing of the NFTS partition, there is no need to reboot the system. The application is equipped with interesting modules, including a disk map, which shows a graphical view of the partitions on the disk, Disk Surface Test, offering basic disk diagnostics and the Partition Surfece Test - analysis of a specific section.
Free utility for Windows 7 and later Microsoft operating systems. Created on the Visual Operating System (ViOpSys) environment and started from a bootable CD / DVD at system startup. Allows you to create new sections, divide, move and delete existing ones and copy their contents. In addition, the user has modules for defragmenting and formatting partitions. The program has small system requirements, so it can be used on old hardware (Pentium-class x86 processor, 32 MB of RAM, or 16 MB in text mode).
A powerful and functional tool for managing disks and partitions, equipped with diagnostic and repair modules for use in Windows 10 and earlier versions. In addition to the basic functions of creating, copying and deleting partitions, you can create backup copies and restore data lost as a result of, for example, a hard disk failure. The application is equipped with "tomoiskatelmu", which allows you to find and recover deleted data. The program supports the most popular file systems, such as FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2 and EXT3, as well as media with DE, SCSI, SATA interfaces. Allows you to manage virtual storage media and RAID. Built-in diagnostic module allows you to analyze the state of the disk, find and correct any errors (including repairing a damaged MBR).
A program designed to create copies of Windows system partitions. Allows you to quickly clone a partition to a new disk, so you can work on a new media without having to go through the procedure of installing the operating system. When you move a section, you can change its volume or leave it at its original size. The program supports files in FAT and NTFS, interfaces IDE, SATA, SCSII, USB and FIREWIRE.
An application designed to manage USB storage devices (cards, pendrives, external drives), supporting FAT16, FAT 32 and NTFS file systems. Allows you to create, copy and delete partitions, format memory and create bootable media, for example, with an operating system or another program. The program is equipped with a diagnostic module that checks the performance of the hard disk and the size of the media.
Allows you to analyze disk resources, provides detailed data about files and displays them in graphical form. For example, their size and location. The user can determine which data and in what form will be displayed. The application generates reports from the collected data in HTML, ASCII and XML formats.
Thus, we introduced you to the best programs for working with hard disk partitions. You just need to try them and decide which one suits you best. And if after reading this article you still have questions, feel free to ask them in the comments.