Windows Sidebar is a ribbon with visualization of useful functions for quick access to them. In different versions of the system, polar problems arise with it: in Windows 7, it must be specifically downloaded and enabled, in Windows 8 and 10, it must be manually disabled, since it is often present by default. Next, we consider both options and methods for activating / deactivating the panel.
Ways to customize Windows sidebar.
How to enable sidebar
Let's start with Windows7: in its earlier versions, calling the sidebar was easy enough, but later it was reworked into a separate set of gadgets, and then completely refused to add to the OS bundle. However, many users liked it because it included a calendar, an analog clock and many other useful things. How it can be opened now:
- Download the distribution from the Microsoft site: type in the search string "Windows Sidebar". There are offers on other resources as well, but downloading them is dangerous, since you can infect a computer with viruses.
- Double click on the distribution and confirm that you started the installation if a window with a question from the firewall appears.
- After installation, the panel itself will appear on the side of the "Desktop".
If you click on the panel with the right button of the manipulator, you can customize it more precisely: add the necessary gadgets, launch the option of fast switching between open windows, order a display on top of all the expanded programs, select a design, hide the ribbon if necessary, etc.
How to disable the sidebar through the settings
In Windows 8 and 10, the problem with the side panel is often the exact opposite: many users who do not have a touch screen find it useless and want to turn it off. In addition, the gadgets on it are completely different, not the same as in the "seven", and the field is wide and often prevents comfortable work. Let's start with how to remove the sidebar in later versions of Windows 8 and 10 in the simplest way - through the Settings menu:
- At the bottom of the screen there is a narrow bar where the icons of open programs are displayed - “Taskbar”. You need to click on it with an additional manipulator button and select Properties.
- Here we are interested in the Navigation section and the Actions for corners item. In the latter, uncheck the magic buttons display option.
Now the sidebar will pop up only when the cursor hits the lower left corner of the screen.
Disable Sidebar through Registry Editor
If you do not want to simply restrict the display of the tape, as described above, but want to remove the sidebar completely, so that it does not interfere when working in Windows 8 or 10, then there is a more complicated way:
- In the line "Search" you need to type the word "regedit" and click "Inter". In Windows8, in contrast to the "ten" and "seven", this line may not be. Then you need to click an additional button on the "Start" and select Search.
- Open the found registry editor and a large section on the right HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- There is a Software folder in it, if you expand it, you will see the following called Microsoft. By consistently opening up Windows and CurrentVersion, you will reach ImmersiveShell. Right click on it and select Create - Partition.
- Name the resulting folder EdgeUI and open it.
- While on the right you can see that it is empty. Click an additional button on the free field and select Create - Parameter.
- Name the parameter DisableCharmsHint and re-enable the right button to change its value. In the appeared line enter 1 and close the editor.
- Restart the OS - the panel should disappear.
Disable the sidebar using the "command line"
If you are not well-versed in the internal structure of the system and are afraid to change something in the registry, there is a more accurate and safer way to use it in disabling the sidebar - enter the command in the Command Line.
- In Windows 8 and 10, in contrast to 7, it is better to use the Search line to search for a program, then right-click on the name and select Run As Administrator.
- Enter the query: Reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ ImmersiveShell \ EdgeUI" / v DisableCharmsHint / t REG_DWORD / d 1 / f.
The system will perform the actions that in the previous method needed to be performed manually.
Disable sidebar using reg-file
It involves the same registry change "Windows", only made by another method:
- Open the Notepad application.
- In the blank field, type: “Windows Registry Editor Version00” and press Enter to form a red line.
- Next, enter: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Currentversion \ ImmersiveShell \ Edge UI]
- "DisableCharmsHint" = dword: 00000001.
- Click “File” - “Save”, name the document as you like, as long as you understand why you need it, and add “.reg” (without quotes) to this word.
- In the file types (line below) you need to specify "all".
Now you need to start the received item by double-clicking and agree to make changes, and then restart the OS.
If after some time you want to re-enable the sidebar, you will have to open Regedit and the folders described in the first chapter, and then delete the DisableCharmsHint file or set it to zero.