Apple regularly releases updates to its mobile operating system, iOS. You can usually install them without any problems, and immediately enjoy the new performance and additional features. But everything does not always go smoothly - during this process there are errors and failures, and even several attempts in a row do not always give a result. This can be fought with, in various ways, which we will consider here.
Troubleshoot iOS 12 installation problems.
Common iOS 12 problems during upgrade
In general, this version of the system is focused on increasing stability and reliability. There are no special improvements of the functional and beautiful buns in it, its main task is the elimination of errors accumulated in previous versions. But this is just a program, and it inevitably has its own weak points, so an error may occur when installing iOS 12. But sometimes a problem happens because of incompatibility with the device. For example, if you try to install this system on the iPhone 5, then nothing happens. Because it can only work on iPhone versions 5S and higher, and not on every iPad model. Therefore, first of all you need to check compatibility with your device. It happens that everything is fine with compatibility, but the update does not work. The most common problems are:
- The requirement to update iTunes when installing from a computer.
- Error 3194.
- Error checking update - the gadget can not detect it.
- Failure in the installation process.
All of them are solved in different ways, so consider them in more detail. But note that these are just the most common situations, there are other, more exotic ones.
Error for updating iOS 12 - “you must have the latest version of iTunes installed”
Failing to install the iOS 12 update when using iTunes is not uncommon. Even if you updated it to the latest version, you may still receive an error message and nothing happens. You can fight this by completely reinstalling the program. First you need to go to the "Control Panel -" Programs and Features "and remove iTunes from your computer. After that, you need to restart the computer. Then you need to download the latest version from the official site and reinstall it. After that, the iOS update usually passes without problems.
Error 3194 when installing iOS 12
Sometimes iTunes gives a window with the code 3194, while the iOS 12 update fails. This can occur for a number of reasons:
- Anti-Virus or FireWall can block the utility from accessing the network or to Apple servers. Sometimes other working network programs may interfere. Try to turn them all off, close all unnecessary, leaving only iTunes to work.
- ITunes may not have permission to edit files. Run it as an administrator.
- There is a hosts file in the Windows folder where servers are denied access to. We must look at it - it opens in Notepad, and must be empty. You can find it in the Windows \ System32 \ driver \ etc folder.
- Check the version of iOS you are trying to install - it should be the newest.
Sometimes the failure to install the update happens for hardware reasons - if you try to install it on iPhone less than version 6, in extreme cases 5S. Even on the usual 5 model, it will not rise. But special attention should be paid to access to Apple servers and to the firmware file - it can be downloaded again from the official site.
Failed to check for iOS 12 updates
If you are trying to install the firmware directly from the device using the Internet, you may receive the message “Failed to check for updates”. This is especially true of the iPhone 5S and other “old” models. This means that the device does not find the required file on the server, and it cannot connect to the server itself. Note that this is an unreliable way that can be used unless in an extreme case, when there is no alternative. After all, at any time the connection may be interrupted for any reason, and then you have to start all over again. You can deal with an error in such ways:
- Reboot the machine. This simplest method can actually “cure” a huge amount of software errors.
- Check the availability of the Internet or Wi-Fi - network. If they are unstable or have an unstable signal, use another network.
- If you install a regular version of iOS 12, then the device should not have any profiles. For the beta version, on the contrary, a profile is required. Check this match in the settings.
- If all of the above does not help, discard the update "over the air", and do it using iTunes.
Consider and the hype that occurs when a fresh version of the system. In the first hours, Apple servers are overloaded, connection with them can be unstable, sometimes it is impossible to connect to them. Do not try to be first, wait a bit, the first wave of fans will subside, and everything will work quickly and well.
Failed to install iOS 12 update
This situation with the appearance of an error message usually also happens when updating via the Internet. How to fix this crash and still upgrade to iOS 12? It is much more reliable to connect your gadget to your computer and use iTunes. When this is not possible, you can try:
- Reboot the device.
- Check for free memory. If it's quite a bit, delete a few games or something else unimportant.
- See how the Internet works, use Wi-Fi.
- In the settings, delete the downloaded update file and re-download it.
If all else fails, you still have to use iTunes.
Update failed - iOS 12 failed validation
Such an error is not uncommon. It appears after installing a new firmware, and reports that there is no connection to the Internet, and the check failed. Such an error when updating iOS 12 may occur for various reasons:
- Really does not work the Internet.
- The installed version is outdated and its signature does not work.
The first step is to reboot, and if the problem persists, check the Internet from a browser. If it works, then the matter may be in the provider - some put Apple servers in the banned list and it is impossible to connect to them. Try to connect to a Wi-Fi network with another provider. If the Internet is OK, but the error has not disappeared, then your firmware version is outdated, and Apple has already released a more recent version. This happens if you download the firmware, and try to install it after some time - the updated iOS system does not pass the test and the iPhone displays a message about the absence of the Internet. Then one way out - download the latest version, and install it.
Why Apple in such different situations shows a message about the absence of the Internet, remains a mystery. Even if the firmware signature verification fails, this error appears in the window, only confusing users. Of course, there are other situations with other types of failures, we have considered the most common. Share your own cases in the comments, and how you solved the problem - this experience will probably come in handy for someone.