During operation or when you turn on the computer, a so-called “blue screen of death” may suddenly appear. If you read the text written on top, the reason for the failure will be indicated there - incorrect operation of the Ntoskrnl.exe file. This element is very important for the functioning of the OS, and when something happens to it, it becomes impossible to use a PC.
Methods of eliminating the error Ntoskrnl.exe.
What is Ntoskrnl.exe
When you turn on the computer, a number of services start up, including Ntoskrnl.exe, which prepares drivers for work and visualizes the image on the screen. In this case, an error may occur, which entails stopping the process. This service is usually located on the “C” drive along with other components of the system and occupies several folders: System32, Driver Cache, etc.
Causes of failure
The ntoskrnl.exe error may occur for a number of reasons:
- Incorrect overclocking and undervolting, which led to overheating.
- Physically deleting a file (in general, it is rather difficult to do, but it is possible if you use software that affects system elements).
- Damage / replacement file with a virus.
- Damage to registry entries.
- The presence of problem or old drivers.
- Internal system failure.
- Failure of the hard drive.
- OS is not updated to the current version.
- Damage or malfunction of RAM.
The ntoskrnl.exe error is serious, but not always fatal, and now we will tell you how to fix it.
- First you need to get to the "Desktop" and get access to the functions of the PC, because the blue screen covers all the space.
- To do this, perform a reboot, and press the F2 or Del key (sometimes there are other options, it depends on the internal structure of the I / O system).
- Before you deploy options BSVV.
- Select Load setup defaults.
- Click on F10 to confirm the selection.
- Restart the PC again - the blue screen will disappear and you can proceed to correct the error.
Until the ntoskrnl.exe error with the blue screen has returned (by the way, it most often occurs on windows 7), you need to start acting. First, try cleaning the registry of incorrectly executed and outdated entries. It is most convenient and safer to do this with the help of special utilities, for example, the notorious CCleaner.
- Download the program and install it.
- Open a window and on the left in the list find the “Registry Cleaner” chapter.
- Click "Analyze" and wait for the detection of all problem records.
- At the top, select "Select All" and "Correct Selection."
- The program will offer to make a copy of the registry - agree, just save it not in the "Documents" on the "C" disk, as specified by default, but in a separate folder on the "D" disk.
- After cleaning, run the "Analysis" again - and so on until the list of damaged items remains empty.
Next, you need to check the system disk and correct some errors if they are found. For this:
- Find the Computer icon and expand the content.
- Double-click PKM on the “C” disk (you can call it something else - the main thing, remember that we need a partition where the OS is stored);
- Select the last item "Properties", and then the sub-item "Service" and run the check.
- The computer may reboot several times in the process - this is normal, do not worry.
For the same purpose, we check the internal system files and fix the problems as follows:
- Click Win + R and wait until a small window appears with an input line.
- Type cmd in it.
- Now a window with a black field will appear, where you need to enter: “sfc / scannow” and click “Inter”.
- You can also specify the "chkdsk" command.
Wait until the success message appears, and then restart the PC.
Often, the reason for stopping Windows startup are viruses that delete the Ntoskrnl.exe file from the root folder Winnt_root \ System32. Do not discount this possibility and be sure to check the system:
- Install some good antivirus: Kaspersky, Doctor Web, Eset, etc.
- Run a full scan of all drives.
- Wait until the end of the procedure (it may take a long time, you can leave for the night).
- Delete all malicious files or move to quarantine - it is better to do what the antivirus recommends.
- Check the file system for errors and recover all damaged, as described above.
If a virus is brought in by a program, it must be uninstalled. Most likely, she will not want to voluntarily delete herself - then an uninstaller (for example, the Uninstall Tool) and the option of “forced removal” will help you.
Update OS and drivers
Sometimes problems with ntoskrnl.exe and the blue screen arise because the system has not been updated for a long time: in Windows 10 it’s difficult to disable automatic package installation, but in the seventh version this often happens - just go to Update Center and run updates, and for drivers Download the equipment separately (just pay attention to the bit depth: for x64 laptops, for PC - x32). Remove all drivers for old, unused hardware: printers, graphics tablets, scanners, multifunction printers, etc. ("Control Panel" - "Device Manager" - right-click on an outdated device - the "Delete" command).
And finally, if all the previous steps were unsuccessful, you can restore the system to the state where everything worked fine. To do this, you need:
- On Windows 7, open in succession: “Start” - “All Programs” - “Standard” - “System Tools” - “System Restore”, on Windows 10, in “Search”, type “Create a restore point” and open the corresponding icon.
- Click "Next" in the window that appears and select "Show restore points".
- Select the date when the computer was running stably.
- Click Finish.
Wait until the end of the process - in any case, do not turn off the computer from the network and make sure that the laptop does not have a battery.