Sometimes it happens that you plug in a flash drive, graphics tablet, mouse, keyboard, or something else, waiting for it to start functioning, but instead a window pops up saying that the device is not working properly. As a result - you can not do what they were going to, because the device is not recognized as connected to a PC.
Solving the error "One of the connected USB devices is not working properly."
Causes of error
If instead of a successful connection, the system displays a message: “One of the connected USB devices is unrecognized or is not working properly, ” several circumstances may contribute to this:
- something is wrong with the equipment itself;
- USB port broken;
- the cord through which the connection is made has deteriorated;
- drivers need to be updated, deleted, or the latest update package was with a bug;
- controllers were out of order or their program was lost;
- accumulated static electricity.
We analyze each case separately.
Cables, Extension Cords and Hubs
They are most often the cause of the error, as they quickly fail. Usually, people store and carry them, inadvertently rolling them, and the contacts are damaged. To check this probability:
- connect another USB device through the cable;
- or connect the gadget via a different cord.
If, as a result of your actions, the device suddenly became working, it means that you have found the source of the error. Also, the problem with the cable may indicate a characteristic sound that accompanies the connection of the device to the PC: if it repeats continuously, then the answer is obvious. The only solution here is to buy a new cord. If you have connected several devices, then a removable USB hub (the so-called “adapter” with multiple USB connectors) will not be able to provide each of them with sufficient power. Try unplugging a few and try again.
Faulty usb port
Also in the wrong work, you can suspect the USB-port. To confirm your findings, you can try to connect something else to it. If the second device does not want to work, go to the following steps:
- Restart the PC and log into BSVV (you can see the right combination of keys in the instructions for your computer).
- Open the Advanced section and “USB configurations”.
- You will see a list of ports with a current status report: whether they work or not.
- If one of them is turned off, you need to turn it on, save the changes and reboot again.
The USB port can be physically damaged: sometimes the wiring is shorted, which makes the problem more serious. In this case, the assistance of the master is also required, especially if part of the board is damaged.
Drivers and software crashes
A yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, supplementing the error message, may indicate driver problems.
- First, remember if you installed the drivers provided by the manufacturer before you plug in a new device.
- Open the "Control Panel" (in Windows 10 it is more convenient to act through the "Search").
- Set the view mode to "Large icons" and find the "Device Manager".
- Find the title under which the list of controllers is hidden. Find the problem device, select it and open “Properties” - “Driver” - “Rollback” or “Delete”.
- If your device is not there, then go to the "Other" section and look for "unidentified equipment." Click on it with PCM and update the drivers through the proposed option.
If a controller driver software failure occurred, it is advisable to remove the drivers of all connected devices (ibid. In the Manager) and restart the system. When you contact the hardware again, the PC will take it as new and reinstall the drivers. This can be done by following the path: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \, and finding the file INFCACHE. By deleting it, you will get rid of all installed drivers and run their subsequent update (some will have to be downloaded independently from the hardware manufacturers sites).
Malfunction of the device itself
If the device is of dubious quality, it may be faulty by itself. Try to connect it to another PC or see how other gadgets contact the computer. Cheap Chinese flash drives, players, etc. can provoke an error. This problem can also be solved only by buying a new device or repairing it. Pay attention to the marking, it indicates whether the device supports USB 2.0 or 3.0 technology. If not, then it can not be connected to a PC with all the desire.
The error still occurs
Oddly enough, the solution may lie on the surface and be easily executable. Often, the USB connection is prevented by static electricity, which accumulates on the contact elements of cables, flash drives, ports, boards.
- Shut down the computer using the normal Shutdown feature.
- Then unplug the power supply and wait a few minutes (remove the battery from the laptop). 3 minutes will be enough.
- Attach the problematic equipment to the switched off PC.
- Turn on the computer.
- The device should work fine.