The .NET Framework is a software environment used by many Windows applications. Some programs developed for a specific version of Visual Studio require a specific version of the .NET Framework. Many companies are developing their applications to work using the .NET Framework, and these applications are targeted to a specific version. If in Windows 10 you see a window with error code 0x800f0950, you are trying to start an application that requires the latest version of the .NET Framework, but it is not installed on your system.
Correction of error 0x800f0950 when installing the .NET Framework in Windows.
What is the .NET Framework and why do you need it
The .NET Framework is the environment used to run .NET software that you install on Windows, and this kind of software cannot work without the .NET Framework on your system. After installing the .NET Framework, a software environment is created that provides the loaded software with an adequate execution environment for work. The .NET Framework can also be easily installed in Windows NT, 1998, 2000, Windows 7, 8, and Windows Server 2008 and 2012. The .NET Framework is a very important component of Microsoft Windows, which is used to launch and build next-generation applications and services based on XML. This structure has the ability to benefit your business much more quickly. In addition, it also provides services with lower costs and greatly improved flexibility systems. Here are some good reasons to start developing web applications using the .NET Framework:
- Reliability. The main achievements of Windows 2000 are transferred. NET Framework and bring them to a new level. All applications created using this environment work longer and are considered very reliable. Therefore, using the .NET Framework is very useful if you are a web application developer, since all .NET applications will not work without it.
A framework consists of functions such as advanced compilation strategies. Using these functions, web applications run much faster than before. If you started using ASP.NET technology instead of ASP, you will see a significant change in its speed due to the amazing features added to the environment.
- Performance. If you work as a developer, you will see that all your web applications have begun to demonstrate improvements in their productivity and accelerated the use of the .NET Framework. Functions such as the programming model, the amount of work that the .NET Framework performs, and the codes in the libraries help you get the most out of your productivity. The framework provides you with the best benefits in the form of increased productivity.
- Security. The component contains a security code feature that was specifically integrated into it, given the current Internet environment. A framework can easily gather a lot of evidence regarding the author and origin of any web application. This environment is then combined with security conditions to make the right decisions about whether to allow an application to start or stop its access. The framework can also interact with web applications to make necessary decisions regarding security and availability of web applications.
- Integration. The framework contains COM Interop technology, which provides protection against your COM elements and Windows-based applications. Applications created using the .NET Framework can integrate with existing applications and systems regardless of the platform on which they are based.
- Deployment. You can easily manage, run, and deploy your web applications using the .NET Framework. Features like automatic version management and application isolation help you avoid version problems. All those applications that are created using this platform can be easily deployed on a server or client by copying the application directory to this target computer. You do not need to register for the process. You can use this platform to deploy web applications to target PCs by simply copying important elements to web servers that users can easily access.
- XML support. The framework has been designed to maximize support for XML network services. This is a model that was created for cross-platform and is based on distributed computing to work on various types of platforms. He also offers his services in the form of software. You can integrate web services with applications for work on different platforms. You can easily convert a web application to a website with very simple coding. That is why the .NET Framework is considered ideal for maximum support for native Web MXL services.
Check if telemetry tracking is disabled in Windows
Microsoft defines telemetry as “system data that is loaded by the Connected User Experience And Telemetry component, also known as the universal telemetry client or the UTC service. To fix the error 0x800f0950, check the service connection. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start and enter services. press Enter.
- Locate the “Features for Connected Users and Telemetry” list and double-click the function.
- The startup parameters should be set to “Automatic.”
Check the status of the service and, if necessary, turn it on. Reboot your PC and check for the error code 0x800f0950. Microsoft uses telemetry data from Windows 10 to identify security and reliability issues, to analyze and fix software problems, to improve the quality of Windows and related services, and to make design decisions for future releases. Telemetry functions are not unique to Microsoft, and there is nothing particularly secret about them. They are part of a broader trend in the software industry for collecting and analyzing event data as part of the transition to data-based decision making.
It is worth noting that telemetry data is only a small part of the normal traffic between a Windows 10 PC and various servers controlled by Microsoft. Most network analysis considers all this traffic and does not isolate telemetry data transmissions. Windows 10 includes software called Connected User Interface and Telemetry, also known as Universal Telemetry Client (UTC). It runs as a Windows service with the display name DiagTrack and the actual service name utcsvc. Microsoft developed this component as part of Windows.
You can see the DiagTrack service in the Services console in Windows 10. To find the process identifier (PID) for a service, open the Services tab in Windows Task Manager. This information is useful for anyone who wants to track the actions of the DiagTrack service using other software tools. The DiagTrack component does exactly what the documentation says — it performs an initial performance measurement, and then checks the contents of four log files every 15 minutes or so. Each data transfer is usually small. Microsoft says the average size is 1.2 KB. On a Windows 10 PC, telemetry data is stored in encrypted files in the hidden% ProgramData% \ Microsoft \ Diagnosis folder. Files and folders in this place are not accessible to regular users and have permissions that make them difficult to track. Even if you could see the contents of these files, nothing is visible there, because the data files are encrypted locally.
The UTC client connects to settings-win.data.microsoft.com, provides its device identifier (a randomly generated globally unique identifier that is not associated with any personal information) and some other configuration information, and also loads the settings file. The telemetry client then uses this settings file to connect to the Microsoft data management service at v10.vortex-win.data.microsoft.com and download any data waiting to be sent. Transmission occurs via encrypted HTTPS connections. This is a security change made by Microsoft on the Windows 7 timeframe. Previous versions sent telemetry data over unencrypted connections, which allowed attackers to intercept data. Please note that the IP addresses assigned to these individual hosts may vary. This is the definition of big data.
Microsoft stores potentially sensitive telemetry data "in a separate storage of information that is limited to a small number of Microsoft employees in the Windows device group." In addition, the company says: "Only those who can demonstrate the real needs of a business can access telemetry information." This data is collected into business reports for analysis and use by teams tasked with correcting errors and improving the performance of the operating system and related services. The reports exchanged between partners include only “aggregated anonymous telemetry information”.
There is no strict rule determining how long data is stored. However, Microsoft states that its goal is to store data only "as long as it is necessary for the provision of the service or for analysis." A vague subsequent statement states that "most of the information about how Windows and applications work is deleted within 30 days." The collection process is adapted in such a way that the telemetry component avoids collecting information that could directly identify a person or organization. However, with the Advanced setting, when Windows or an application crashes or hangs, the memory contents of the erroneous process are included in the diagnostic report created during the crash or hangup, and this crash dump may contain confidential information.
Installing the .NET Framework through the feature enable or disable Windows components
By clicking "Install Component", you install the .NET Framework via Windows Update or fix an existing package. In addition, you can enable the .NET Framework through the Windows Control Panel. This option requires an internet connection. Using Windows features:
- Right-click Start, select Run. Type OptionalFeatures.exe and press Enter.
- In the "Enable or Disable Windows Components" dialog box that opens, select the .NET Framework 3.5 check box (including .NET 2.0 and 3.0).
- Select OK and restart your computer if prompted.
You do not need to select the “Windows Communication Foundation Activation (WCF) HTTP” and “Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) Activation without HTTP Interface” subsections if you are not a developer or server administrator who needs these functions.
Installing the .NET Framework using the offline installer
You can install the .NET Framework package using a standalone installer. The process implies launching an application with the .exe extension. You can download the installation file from the official Microsoft website. Visit the download page and run the file on the PC. To complete the installation, follow the instructions of the wizard, then restart the PC and check the program for operability.
Installing from a Windows boot disk using the dism command
On some .NET Framework 3.5 systems, an installation error of 0x800f0950, 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F, or 0x800F0907 may occur. For example, the following error message:
Failed to install the following function:
.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
Error code: 0x800f0950
In these cases, you can try installing this feature from a Windows 10 DVD or ISO image. However, you must make sure that the version of Windows 10 on your DVD or ISO matches the version of Windows 10 installed on your system.
Windows 10 installation media as source
Download the latest version of Windows 10 in ISO format (assuming that the latest build is installed on your Windows 10 system) using the media creation tool, and then mount the ISO image.
- Download Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool.
- Write down the letter of your DVD or mounted drive, say H: \.
- Open an elevated command prompt (administrator).
- Type the following command and press ENTER:
dism / online / enable-feature / featurename: NetFX3 / Source: h: \ sources \ sxs / LimitAccess
If you need to install "Activate Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) HTTP" and "Activate without an HTTP connection Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)", be sure to add the / All parameter:
dism / online / enable-feature / featurename: NetFX3 / All / Source: h: \ sources \ sxs / LimitAccess
As mentioned earlier, these two components are usually not required for most users.
Windows Update as a source
Alternatively, to use the Windows Update server as the source, run the following command:
dism / online / enable-feature / featurename: NetFX3
The above command installs the .NET Framework 3.5 component files from Windows Update. Then try to re-enable .NET Framework 3.5 using Windows components and restart Windows.
Group Policy Setup
Error 0x800f0950 may occur due to the fact that the component parameter in the group policy is disabled. To enable it, follow these steps:
- On the keyboard, simultaneously press the Windows logo key and the R key to bring up the Run window.
- Type "gpedit.msc" and press Enter on the keyboard.
- Go to Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / System.
- Double-click "Specify settings for installing an additional component and repairing it."
- Select "Enabled", then click OK.
Try installing the .NET Framework. If this method works, you will not see any more error.
As you can see, fixing problems when installing or updating the .NET Framework is quite simple. If you have already encountered a similar problem on Windows 10 or other versions, share your experience with readers in the comments under this article.