Malicious software penetrates the computer in various ways and can cause irreparable damage to the operating system, and sometimes the hardware of the device itself. Even in the presence of a good anti-virus, there is no guarantee that the virus will not live on your device, and besides, it is often the users who contribute to this unpleasant event. Unwanted programs are installed independently, without asking permission from the computer owner, and then they sit quietly, without giving themselves away, but fulfilling their destructive mission, or, on the contrary, begin to carry on vigorous activities, as in the case of Shutdown Time. You will notice this malicious software right away, because it is very difficult not to pay attention to the endless streams of advertising, climbing everywhere and interfering with normal operation in the browser. What is actually this application Shutdown Time, positioned as a time manager, and how to get rid of it we will consider.
Remove ShutdownTime Malware.
What is Shutdown Time
Soft Shutdown Time is no time manager, despite this disguise. In fact, it is nothing more than an advertising virus that intrusively displays advertising in all its various forms that one can imagine. Virus Adware shows pop-ups, notifications, banners, audio, videos and other media variations. At the same time, even closing the browser, you can fully “enjoy” all this pile of “gifts” from the Shutdown Time application. The virus also changes the browser search settings, which then fails to roll back, changes the shortcuts in the menu and on the desktop, after which the ads will fall out immediately, as soon as you launch the browser. In addition to displaying unnecessary advertising content, the user can be transferred to other pages, including those containing viruses, so it is not difficult to accidentally “pick up” and more serious infection. Another feature of Shutdown Time is the creation of schedules for your own launch, the program does not consider it necessary even to wait for the launch from the user and in a short time will turn the device into a place where, regardless of your actions, all advertising content and virus software will flow. Thus, with normal work at the computer, you can say goodbye, because advertising will be everywhere. As soon as you have acquired such an application, it is better to get rid of it immediately.
How is infection with the advertising virus Shutdown Time?
Adware, such as Shutdown Time, is widespread on the Internet and is often settled in the system even with protection against such threats. It is doubtful that the user will intentionally download the virus, but in the load to free programs - easily. Batch installation involves downloading not only the application that you need, but also additional software (not always useful), coming to him as a set. So, Shutdown Time can be downloaded regardless of your desire, if the installation will take place by default. In order not to miss unnecessary programs on your computer and not get infected with a virus, you should not download the software automatically, refusing to install additional modules in time. Better yet, do not visit dubious Internet resources and download software from official sources. Together with free software downloaded from the Internet, Shutdown Time is copied to the device’s memory. The executable file of the virus with the extension “.exe” is stored in a folder named Shutdown Time, which is created in the C: \ Program Files \ or C: \ Program \ Data directories, the running process can be seen in the Task Manager, and sometimes the virus is also written in the registry operating system. Advertising banners and pop-up ads in browsers appear immediately after the installation of malicious software, and with the removal of Shutdown Time you should not delay.
How to remove Shutdown Time from your browser
You can get rid of unwanted applications by performing the removal of software and related components manually or using special tools and virus scanners. The second method is preferable, because then you will not have to mess around for a long time and the probability that you missed something is excluded. But if there is a desire to get down to business and the user experience allows you to do this, then step by step instructions will help you, in which we will explain in detail how to manually remove Shutdown Time:
- You can remove the software through the Control Panel. In the "Programs and Features" section, select Shutdown Time from the list and right-click to bring up the menu where you need to select the "Delete" option. Often, the virus can not be removed in standard mode, in which case it is necessary to load the device in safe mode and repeat the procedure.
- The next step is to stop the processes associated with Shutdown Time. To do this, go to the Task Manager and find in the Processes tab all related to this software, stop them (right-click and select "Remove Task" from the menu). Also look at the folders in which they are located (in the object properties in the “General” tab), and then delete them from the directories.
- Go to the system tool "Services." This can be done from the Control Panel (Administration section) or using the Run console (Win + R), where you need to enter the services.msc request in the line. In the opened window we find in the list of Shutdown Time services and stop its operation.
- Now you need to delete the tasks originating from malware in the Task Scheduler. We proceed to the tool using the Control Panel (“Administration” - “Task Schedule”) or the “Run” console, where enter the taskschd.msc command.
- From the Registry Editor, you need to delete the keys with the name “ShutdownTime”, as well as the values. Keys that only contain Shutdown Time, leave, delete the values themselves. In the absence of skills in working with the registry, it is better to use a special utility, since any careless actions, even seemingly minor changes to records, can lead to unpleasant consequences for the system.
- Malicious software Shutdown Time is also registered in Internet browsers as extensions, so it will also be necessary to remove the virus from browsers:
- For Google Chrome, go to the menu (three dots in the upper corner of the toolbar), select the section "Additional Tools" - "Extensions" (or immediately enter chrome: // extensions / in the address bar). Once on the extensions page, here we find and delete the addition Shutdown Time.
- For Yandex.Browser, we similarly press the button in the form of three bars at the top of the toolbar and select the "Add-ons" item from the menu (or enter in the browser address bar: // tune). On the page we are looking for a malicious extension and delete it (the “Delete” option appears if you hover your mouse over the on / off toggle switch).
- For Opera, in the toolbar on the left, select the Extensions section (the icon in the form of a cube) and delete the unwanted one.
- For Firefox, click the three bars, go to the "Add-ons" (or in the address bar, type about: addons), where among the list we find the pest. The extension is deleted by pressing the corresponding button.
- In each of the browsers you need to check the settings of the search engine, as well as the address of the home page and reset to the original settings, if necessary.
- In addition, you should go into the properties of the shortcuts of the installed browsers and check that the correct address was entered in the string, without any unnecessary entries.
- It is also necessary to clear the browser cache, temporary files and recycle bin.
The process of eliminating the malware and all its “tails” manually is quite laborious, and it takes a lot of time, so it’s still better to use the specialized software to remove Shutdown Time and similar advertising viruses.